Greetings From England!

michaelpoll

Greetings From England!

Post by michaelpoll » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:08 pm

1) Do you play guitar? Are you a lover of guitar music, but don't play yourself? Are you a Luthier?
Yes! I am currently the Junior Fellow of Classical Guitar at the Guildhall School

2) How long have you played? What is your experience? How old (young) were you when you started? Or did you just start last week?
I have been playing for 24 years

3) Do you take lessons? Or are you self-taught? Are you a teacher of Classical Guitar?
Both!

4) Did you start with another type of guitar or musical instrument, and then discover the Classical Guitar?
I began with the recorder and the cello in school, but the guitar was my only true love as a young person.

5) What type of music are you particularly interested in? What pieces are you currently working on?
I am particularly interested in Bach--it's a research interest of mine, and my latest project (in which I hope to make a new recording of suites BWV1006a and BWV 996) is here http://kck.st/2f2oUzh

6) Do you have a large gap in your life when you stopped playing the guitar?
It definitely doesn't count as a large gap, but I have been doing more and more conducting over the past five years (which has definitely improved my guitar playing!) even though I don't often practice when I am doing this kind of project.

7) And so on! Anything that you wish to share with us will be much appreciated.
I would love to start posting guitar-related videos on youtube, but wonder what would be interesting? I'm at the very end of my connection with music school (so could do something related to that) or interviews with other artists, or musical clips, or technique? What would you want to watch?

Also I wonder if anyone knows of a nice arrangement of the accompaniment part of Summertime for classical guitar?

All my best and very happy to be here!

Michael

oski79

Re: Greetings From England!

Post by oski79 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am

Welcome to the forum Michael!
michaelpoll wrote:Also I wonder if anyone knows of a nice arrangement of the accompaniment part of Summertime for classical guitar?
There are loads of versions on YouTube for guitar you could get some ideas from, I think I'd just go for some simple arpeggiated chords.. :)

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

michaelpoll

Post by michaelpoll » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks so much, James, for your welcome and for the suggestion!

Return to “Introduce yourself”