greetings from Knoxville, Tennessee

marymezzo

greetings from Knoxville, Tennessee

Post by marymezzo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:25 am

Hello, all--

i studied classical guitar as a young teen many years ago . . . then focused on vocal music for most of my adult life. I returned to study of the classical guitar two years ago--with the same teacher, Larry Long, whom I had when I was young.

i've made a lot of progress in the past two years but have a long way to go. I'm currently playing Pavan guitar TP-30-64, and I'm quite satisfied with it. But I've also put down a deposit to have a guitar made for me by Zebulon Turrentine (http://www.zebulonturrentine.com). I've been wanting one of his since hearing one of his instruments two years ago.

Mary

George Crocket

Re: greetings from Knoxville, Tennessee

Post by George Crocket » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:12 am

Hello, Mary. Welcome to the forum. I hope you can join in some of our discussions. :discussion:

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:07 am

Mary,
Welcome and congratulations on getting a Zebulon Turrentine. His guitars are beautiful and he is a very nice person. His finish work is exceptional. Zeb just delivered a new guitar to a friend of mine in Kentucky who says it's the finest guitar he's ever played. Zeb did a French polish refresh on a guitar of mine and it was better than new when I got it back. Be sure to let us know when you get your new guitar from Zeb!
Hauser III 2014!

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Jack--

Thank you for the welcome. It's great to hear what you've said about your friend's new guitar and the quality of the finish work he did on your guitar.

I had a chance to play one of Zeb's guitars recently, as our ensemble teacher has one. Damn, it's good. Mine is still in the works, but I'll report once I get it in my hands.

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi, everyone--

Just a quick update on my Zebulon Turrentine guitar. I picked it up on Friday, and it is everything I hoped it would be. Gorgeous to look it, gorgeous to hear. It's better than I am, so now I'm in the position of being inspired by my excellent guitar to keep improving as a player.

The instrument has a lot of projection, and it has what I'd call a very warm, sweet, rich sound.

One of the things I like about Zeb is that he's continually striving for a certain sound and focused on continuous improvement. He braced mine three times, he said, to achieve the resonance he wanted.

I loved my Pavan guitar (bought two years ago), but now I'm going to put it on the market. I still have my old Aria guitar from 1971 as a backup.

OK, here are photos of my new guitar:

http://zebulonturrentine.com/no41

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:29 am

Wow that is awesome. I like the rosette. And I like the rosewood. I prefer nice straight grained, dark IRW sound wise to BRW, which is a bit snappy a lot of the time. I feel that straight grained wood transmits vibration better. All of my guitars I've had, they've all had nice straight grained wood.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 am

By the way, what kind are the tuning machines?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed May 03, 2017 2:28 am

Gotoh 35G510S

marymezzo

Post by marymezzo » Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you, bacsidoan, for the info about the tuning machines were.

Thanks, Laudiesdad69, for your kind comments. I love this guitar!

I didn't mention before that it's quite heavy. The sides and back are laminated to cherry.

My guitar teacher is blown away by the projection this guitar has. He has a significant hearing loss, and he joked the other day that maybe his hearing wasn't so bad--he just wasn't listening to the right instruments.

:-)

I'm practicing now to perform (in a couple of weeks) the Stanley Yates arrangement of the Prelude to Bach Cello Suite No. 1. The new instrument is highly motivating.

Return to “Introduce yourself”