Hello from Austin

scottszone

Hello from Austin

Post by scottszone » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:49 pm

I am a guitarist and music teacher located in Austin, Texas. I've been playing guitar for 30+ years and teach guitar at a private music school in Austin.

I mainly perform solo classical and jazz guitar for the past several years, but have performed in blues, rock, pop, country, and Latin bands as a lead guitarist in the past.

Currently I'm working on building my repertoire and reaching the next level in my playing. Favorite composers include Bach, Carcassi, Sor, Guiliani, Mertz, Regondi, Tarrega, Barrios, and Villa Lobos.

Recently, I purchased a Contreras II C-5 Cedar top that is amazing and inspiring me to work even harder on achieving my music goals.

Looking forward to sharing my passion for classical guitar with like minded spirits on the forum.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

oski79

Re: Hello from Austin

Post by oski79 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Welcome to Delcamp Scottszone!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

scottszone

Post by scottszone » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks for the info oski, I want to add that I studied classical guitar with Paul LeBlanc and jazz guitar with Fred Hamilton at the University of North Texas. I completed my interdisciplinary PhD in Music and Technology there in 2005. I also completed post-graduate studies in jazz improvisation at the University of South Florida.

Looking to connect with other classical guitarists in the Austin, Texas metro.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

jgiddings

Post by jgiddings » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello, Scott.
I recently joined the Delcamp forum. Your Austin location caught my eye. I'm a huge North Texas fan.

My son, Sean M. Giddings, also graduated from UNT (2012). Like you, he lives and works in Austin. He plays jazz piano/keyboards, indie rock (band: Fall River Footmen) and other styles. In addition to local gigs, he also does studio work. He's a very talented musician, and a solid guy. If you ever need a sideman, give him a call.

-Jim Giddings
KCMO
www.jimgiddingsguitar.com

Return to “Introduce yourself”