Greetings from Lynchburg, VA

Adam Arnold

Greetings from Lynchburg, VA

Post by Adam Arnold » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 pm

To all members,
Hello, my name is Adam. I'm a 39 professional that loves everything classical guitar. After finding this forum, I was highly interested in the lessons offered. I recently took a break from playing guitar due to having limited time because I'm earning my masters degree. Two years later I'm picking it back up. At the time I took my break, I would have considered myself between intermediate and proficient. Previously, I had about a year of tutoring from a very great teacher of the classical guitar, having trained all his life. He started the Liberty University classical guitar program. At this point, I want to dive in again and self teach. Maybe in a few months I may consider a tutor again. My favorite composer by far is Bach, but I love just about every style/genre of classical guitar. When I get started, I want to strive to maintain a consistent practice schedule and learn the correct methods to build upon skill. I'm extremely rusty and will just start as a first year player to regain my previous skillset. Thank you for providing this forum of classical guitar. I look forward to meeting all members and learning.
Sincerely,
Adam :bye:

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Lynchburg, VA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello Adam and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jim Imbur
Location: Midway between Lynchburg and Charlottesville Virginia

Post by Jim Imbur » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello!

I am in Nelson County and only about 45 minutes from Lynchburg's downtown. It's probably about an hour and 10-15 minutes for you to get to Charlottesville but there is a CG Society there and a free performance at C'ville Coffee the 2nd Sunday of each month. Dave Edwards, the pres and a luthier, performs on guitars he has made including a Lacote reproduction.

Adam Arnold

Post by Adam Arnold » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:21 am

Hello Jim,

I apologize for the length of time for a response, but it's great that Charlottesville has a CG Society with local performances. One day I will have to check C'ville Coffee out with my wife. By any chance, does Mr. Edwards sell his guitars? I'm looking to buy a luthier-made guitar in the near future. In order to accomplish this, I will most likely have to travel out-of-town to select one that suits my preferences. Are there any music shops that offer classical guitars in C'ville? Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Berisford,
Welcome and I'm glad to say hello to a fellow Virginian. You're in a good area and I certainly vouch for Dave Edwards, who does make guitars, with the Charlottesville Classical Guitar Society. I used to live there and am a Past President of that group. I now live north of Richmond in Ashland, VA.
Regarding luthiers, there are several in Virginia. You would need to go to Washington, DC to find a 'Store' with a good selection of classical guitars. Music and Arts beside the Starbucks on Route 29 North may have a few 'manufactured' classical guitar, but none by luthiers.
If you can plan to go to the upcoming 'International Guitar Festival at Radford University there will be a dealer from St Simons Island, Georgia with a huge selection of Luthier made guitars at various price points.
I know of and have had dealings with a number of classical guitar dealers and will be happy to give those names and other information to you in a PM or email if you'll send me a PM asking that. PM is private message available on the Delcamp site.
Again. Welcome!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jim Imbur

Post by Jim Imbur » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi Berisford

Jack answered your question far better than I could have but with that said, I own one of Dave's former personal guitars. He built it to sound a little brighter and louder than some of his other guitars which is good for me because my very limited abilities (lack volume and brightness in my alleged technique.) I suggest contacting him at edwardsfineinstruments (Delcamp does not allow direct commercial links here). My guitar was refurbished by Dave and could almost pass for new.

Jim Imbur

Post by Jim Imbur » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:41 pm

One more thought- if you and I both go to C'ville Coffee in February (2/12/17 @ 4), I'll bring my guitar if you let me know you are coming. You can try it out and also see Dave's other guitars. No C'ville Coffee performance this Sunday due to schedule conflicts. We would need to exchange direct email addresses if you are OK with that to let each other know about attending in Feb.

Adam Arnold

Post by Adam Arnold » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

To Jack and Jim,
Thank you both for the information regarding CG in Central VA. As stated in my intro message, I'm a admirer of CG music and everything CG, though my actual CG playing skill questionable at best. I had a good practice regimen and stuck with it for some time, but I'm terribly rusty now due to the length of time I haven't played. This all came about due to my graduate studies. Now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel (Graduate in May), I'm planning on hitting the nylon again here soon. There will be a lot of relearning what I have lost, but I think the transition will be smooth. I will talk to my wife about Feb 2/12/17 and check my work schedule. If there is no conflict, I may take you up on meeting that day at C'ville Coffee. Jack, thanks for the Luthier leads and info on Mr. Edwards. I will make every effort to attend the International Guitar Festival at Radford University. I will contact you PM when I have the funds to comfortably invest. Thank you both again :)

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm

berisford wrote:To Jack and Jim,
Thank you both for the information regarding CG in Central VA. As stated in my intro message, I'm a admirer of CG music and everything CG, though my actual CG playing skill questionable at best. I had a good practice regimen and stuck with it for some time, but I'm terribly rusty now due to the length of time I haven't played. This all came about due to my graduate studies. Now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel (Graduate in May), I'm planning on hitting the nylon again here soon. There will be a lot of relearning what I have lost, but I think the transition will be smooth. I will talk to my wife about Feb 2/12/17 and check my work schedule. If there is no conflict, I may take you up on meeting that day at C'ville Coffee. Jack, thanks for the Luthier leads and info on Mr. Edwards. I will make every effort to attend the International Guitar Festival at Radford University. I will contact you PM when I have the funds to comfortably invest. Thank you both again :)
Thanks. Just a quick plug for the Radford University Guitar Festival. Every performance and master class event is free. There are no fees for admission. Dr. Trent does a superb job of organizing the event! You'll find that the guest artists are approachable and engaging. His students are enthusiastic and a pleasure. You will do well to book a room well in advance as last minute hotel rooms are expensive and hard to come by!
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Introduce yourself”