Hello from sunny California

Clovingo

Hello from sunny California

Postby Clovingo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello everybody! I always wanted to join this forum. I love the sound of the classical nylon guitar. I love Spanish Romantic Classical and South American Latin Guitar Music. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate player, been playing on and off for years (self-taught), took a long break of 10 years of not playing, then saw somebody playing one day and I decided I needed to play again. Now at age 44, I really want to put more effort to learning and playing the classical guitar correctly (position, right-hand placement, planting, tremolo, etc).

To push myself to another level of playing, I hooked up with a private guitar teacher (4-months ago),who I see twice a month (expensive 1-hr session) don't know if it is worth it. He says he was a student under Celine Romero for years. He has shown me everything I've doing wrong for years(so frustrating). Originally, I wanted to just learn to read Tab only, but he insisted for me to learn to read standard notation. He had me start out with Christopher Parkening Part 1 and playing Guiliiani's 120 Right hand exercises. Good teacher, but I feel it is a slow process. Anyways, I'll stop yakking for now, I have many questions, hopefully you can answer them and provide me advice and direction.

Chris

Guitars:
Kremona FC, Cedar, 2015
Cordoba C-10, Spruce, 2016

oski79

Re: Hello from sunny California

Postby oski79 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Chris!

I'm sure you'll realize soon enough that you're much better off learning to read standard notation too rather than only tab!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
"Before Elvis, there was nothing." --John Lennon

CathyCate

Postby CathyCate » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Chris
Welcome and hang in there! A new start can be frustrating to say the least. You are investing in your musical future and with professional guidance and regular practice have increased your chances for being richly rewarded. Hope you are soon having the time of your life. :chitarrista:

gfinleyg

Postby gfinleyg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Chris,
I went through the switch over from tab to standard notation too and I found it very worthwhile, there is just so much more available music in the standard notation format. It can be a bit tougher initially because you may have decisions about which string to play, but if you write in your left and right hand fingering it may not be too tough to sight read (depending on the song!). Hang in there :)

Greg

Return to “Introduce yourself”