Hello from Massachusetts!

bester

Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by bester » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:21 am

Hi there everyone. My name is Michael, and I've found myself ending up on this site often enough in the recent past that I thought it only right to register and introduce myself.

I am a guitarist and have been playing for over 30 years now, having started at about age 11. Back in those heady days, I was enamored with Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, and may other rock guitar luminaries. Later, I went school for Jazz performance and steeped myself in the idioms of the bebop masters and the great American songbook. Throughout those early years, I dabbled with classical guitar here and there, playing some Carcassi studies and Giuliani etudes, but was not properly trained on it.

I spent a few years in my early twenties working as a professional musician, doing club dates and the like, but ultimately decided against pursing it as a career. I then spent perhaps 10 years where I was focusing on my work and not doing much musically. I'd play, sometimes with friends, to keep my skills from atrophying, but I wasn't studying or performing throughout that time.

Perhaps 6 years ago, I got involved with the Boston Classical Guitar Society. I started playing more, primarily classical guitar. It was a whole new world to me which I knew little about. I joined the Boston Guitar Orchestra under the direction of the irrepressible Scott Borg. I started going to the performance parties the BCGS puts together every 6 weeks or so. The guitar was becoming a more central role in my life again, almost as it had been when I was young. I needed guidance, though, both for technique (having always played with a pick, I had never really developed my right hand for classical playing) and getting familiar with the repertoire. I started studying with Jerome Mouffe (who teaches with Eliot Fisk at NEC), who is a wonderful teacher and has really helped me get familiar with the rich tradition of the classical guitar.

I've been playing regularly with another guitarist who has somewhat of a similar background - jazz trained, came to classical guitar later. We work on arrangements - some of which are our own - of works by Chopin, Debussy, Granados, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, De Falla, and more. As creative improvisation is also important to the both of us, we like to play a number of jazz standards, too.

Anyway, I think that's enough about me for now! It's nice to be on here, and I'm looking forward to getting to chatting with you.
2013 Jeremy Clark (52 Instruments Co.) Engelmann Spruce & African Blackwood, multi-scale length
---
It is said that the guitar takes ten years to master… per string!

oski79

Re: Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by oski79 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:52 am

Welcome to Delcamp, Bester!

And thanks for the most interesting and thorough intro!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

ric2801

Post by ric2801 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Amazing history, welcome :)

bester

Post by bester » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Thank you, ric2801 and oski79! It's nice to be here.
2013 Jeremy Clark (52 Instruments Co.) Engelmann Spruce & African Blackwood, multi-scale length
---
It is said that the guitar takes ten years to master… per string!

FHC

Post by FHC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

Superb introduction!

Return to “Introduce yourself”