Greetings (first post) from Bangor Northern Ireland

Stephen Anderson

Greetings (first post) from Bangor Northern Ireland

Post by Stephen Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

Hi all

I came across this forum several times recently while researching various aspects of classical guitar and lutherie. I've read through some really interesting discussions and thought it's best if I join up and try get involved.

I'm 40 now but I started playing classical guitar in South Africa in 1996 and completed a BMus in classical guitar performance in 1999 (I therefore have experience in musical injury! :shock:) then went on to complete an MMus in intercultural music education in 2000.

Confession: I have been a bad boy - I have totally let my skills slip :desole: . I go for months sometimes without playing my guitar. Once again though I have renewed my interest and can't stop thinking about it and can't wait to get home from work and lock myself in my practice room. (yeah - no-one can see my screen right now - looks like I'm working :twisted: )

I play a Paulino Bernabe M30 (1995). I also have a custom made Mervyn Davis 10-string and an Alan Amy 6 string.

My work has this really cool scheme where everyone in the company gets a budget of up to £250 (GBP) to spend on lessons for themselves - the only criteria is that it must be something that has nothing to do with work! Last year I did platform diving. This year I'm going to use this budget to get lessons in lutherie and finally get round to building my own guitar.

Although I have had large gaps where I had not been playing guitar, I have always maintained the good ol' Recuerdos de la Alhambra mainly because I have a very good friend who promises to thwack me one across the jaw if he ever asks me to play that tune and I say that I can't. At the moment the only other tune I can play is Koyunbaba by Carlos Domeniconi. On the side, I'm learning a bunch of relatively easy popular music (most that would make me, and quite possibly most of the folks on this forum vomit) so that I can build up a repertiore. I hope to learn enough to get a wee regular restaurant gig or something then gradually bring in more challenging deep classical stuff. I'll eventually do some concerts but I'm not gonna rush.

If anything, I think I can possibly offer forum members advice around araeas where I have struggled and mistakes I have made - musical injury, weak nails, learning difficult tunes before the easy stuff, practicing the bits I like, rather than the bits I need to perfect, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway that's all the intro I can get away with now. See yous all later :)

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Greetings (first post) from Bangor Northern Ireland

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Delcamp!

Interesting introduction - are you thinking of private luthierie lessons, or is there a course near you? I teach at Newark College (and do the odd bit of private teaching) - but probably a bit far away for you!

Official intro bit...

Please feel free to join in with existing discussions, or to start your own topic. The members here are very friendly and supportive, and if you need any extra help, you can ask one of the moderators (usernames shown in green, except mine, which is purple, as I'm also a luthier).

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please follow this link: Our welcome page

You already have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. When you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit.

We recommend that members add their location in their profile - to do so just click on your name at the top right of the page, select "User Control Panel", then on the "Profile" tab, and enter your town/region/country in the "Location" field.

Enjoy the forum!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Stephen Anderson

Post by Stephen Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks James

There's a Lutherie school just a few miles from where I live so I'll probably go there. http://www.laganlutherieschool.org/ It'll have to be part-time for me so It'll take me a while to complete it. I've no woodworking experience other than I built a few pretty good skateboard half pipes when I was a young teenager. I do understand that patience is probably rather high on the immportance list when it comes to building this - "measure twice, cut once" and all that.

Thanks for access to the music scores. I've printed out a nice one-pager to start with. Luys Milán : Pavana 6. Gonna learn that tonight.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the forum - looking forward to 'seeing' you around the site

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Stephen Anderson wrote:There's a Lutherie school just a few miles from where I live...
I hadn't come across that school before - always useful to hear about new ones. Courses at Universities and Colleges in the UK are becoming scarce - the courses in London, Manchester and Leeds have all closed down in recent years.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Stephen Anderson

Post by Stephen Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 pm

:cry: That's sad to hear.

It's such a beautiful art.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Fascinating and entertaining intro post. Welcome Stephen! We could all use a "RDLA friend" to keep us in line. What a great idea!

Stephen Anderson

Post by Stephen Anderson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:23 am

CathyCate wrote:We could all use a "RDLA friend" to keep us in line.
Thanks, Cathy. I can't find the meaning of "RDLA" - what does it mean.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 pm

RDLA is used as shorthand for Recuerdos de la Alhambra, to which you refer in your introduction. :D
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”