Hello from Columbia, Missouri

raven

Hello from Columbia, Missouri

Postby raven » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi, this is my first post. I have recently begun to play classical guitar after a break of about10 years. Actually I've had a few of these prolonged periods of not playing. I started with guitar lessons when I was about 15 years old and took lessons for about 5 years. Since then, I've played off and on and usually get frustrated after a while. I am interested in finding a good teacher nearby which I'm sure would help this time around. But I came across this forum site because I was trying to find out how to improve my finger nails, which has always been a hindrance to me and a big part of the reason I eventually stop playing. I have tried many things over the years. So I'll be looking for some information on that on this forum as well. Hopefully there is something that may work for me that I haven't already tried. I love listening to classical guitar music as well and that has always brought me back, eventually, to again try to become more proficient myself in my playing.
Thank you,
David

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Re: Hello from Columbia, Missouri

Postby Vito Simplicio » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello David,

Welcome!

raven wrote:Hi, this is my first post. I have recently begun to play classical guitar after a break of about 10 years. Actually I've had a few of these prolonged periods of not playing.

You are in good company. So many of us have had big gaps in our playing.

Also, I've consider quitting at times because I could not grow nails. I eventually went to acrylic nails. There are, however, many possible solutions. You probably have already perused the nail sub-forum but just in case, here it is: viewforum.php?f=87.

To get a complete understanding of this forum including links to the rules and help files, it is highly recommended that you take a look at :arrow: New member greeting page. Once you have posted 2 messages, you can subscribe to the 002 group, which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels.

On another note, it's interesting and helpful to know where our members live so  please consider adding  your location by going to your username link at the top right corner and clicking on “User Control Panel.”

:merci: and enjoy your time with us.

Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 pm

raven wrote:Hi, this is my first post. I have recently begun to play classical guitar after a break of about10 years. Actually I've had a few of these prolonged periods of not playing. I started with guitar lessons when I was about 15 years old and took lessons for about 5 years. Since then, I've played off and on and usually get frustrated after a while. I am interested in finding a good teacher nearby which I'm sure would help this time around. But I came across this forum site because I was trying to find out how to improve my finger nails, which has always been a hindrance to me and a big part of the reason I eventually stop playing. I have tried many things over the years. So I'll be looking for some information on that on this forum as well. Hopefully there is something that may work for me that I haven't already tried. I love listening to classical guitar music as well and that has always brought me back, eventually, to again try to become more proficient myself in my playing.
Thank you,
David

Welcome! I live in KC Metro! Look up Ryan McLouth. He studied with Douglas Niedt at UMKC. He teaches at CMU in Fayette, and I think he lives in Columbia. If he's not available, look up Thom Howard! These two men would be great!
Kremona Fiesta FC

raven

Postby raven » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Wow, thanks Dustin for the information regarding teachers around here. My daughter is actually a student at CMU in Fayette. I will need to definitely look into getting in touch with Ryan. I have enjoyed Douglas Niedt's website in the past too so I'm familiar with him. And Thom Howard I'll keep in mind as well. thanks again!

raven

Postby raven » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Vito, thanks very much for this information. I was just beginning to explore the site and had not found the sub-forum you mentioned yet so I'll definitely be checking that out.
thanks for all the information about the 002 and 020 group etc as well. And I added my location to the user control panel so hopefully that works and is shown now.
thank you,
David

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm

raven wrote:Wow, thanks Dustin for the information regarding teachers around here. My daughter is actually a student at CMU in Fayette. I will need to definitely look into getting in touch with Ryan. I have enjoyed Douglas Niedt's website in the past too so I'm familiar with him. And Thom Howard I'll keep in mind as well. thanks again!

Small world! I received my Bachelors in Music Ed from CMU. I was working on my undergrad a couple of years behind Ryan, and Thom was the adjunct professor of classical guitar and Strings at the time. It's always fun to find local players!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Return to “Introduce yourself”