Brand new from Arizona!

fivesense

Brand new from Arizona!

Post by fivesense » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:19 am

Hello All!- thank you for letting me join this community! My name is Doug and I am a brand new aspiring guitarist.

I'm making good on a longtime promise to myself to learn guitar. After weeks of intensive (and at times excessive) research into how best to start, I purchased an acoustic guitar- I'm 3 days in with ferocious blisters on my fingers and loads of frustration.

I've always loved the sounds of classical guitar and thus I somewhat regret not starting with a classical guitar. Indeed, I may still choose to pick up a classical guitar as I think it would be equally gratifying (if not more so) and easier on my fingers too! I literally have 3 days of practice under my belt so I'm about as new as one can get. What does this community think about starting with a classical guitar, for the process of learning? My interest in classical guitar is not relegated to learning however; I really do LOVE the sound and would be especially proud to play well.

I realize acoustic and classical guitar are quite a bit different. The good news is I don't have anything to unlearn! Any general tips or advice?

Thank you again- glad to be here.

Doug

Erik Zurcher

Re: Brand new from Arizona!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 am

Hello Doug and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Doug!
Here's only my personal opinion (I am no guitar teacher or professional):
- Decide if you prefer classical guitar or acoustic (steel string) guitar - at least for now. This decision will be influenced by the
kind of music you'll like to play. As you noted, these two instruments are different beasts.
- Find a teacher for your instrument - self teaching as a beginner may lead to errors limiting your development and that are
hard to correct later on - it may take years to unlearn "bad" habits.
For classical guitar:
- If you cannot find or afford a teacher, you might look at the free guitar course offered here in the forum:
Online classical guirar lessons

BTW: Most beginners tend to press the string much too hard, much more than is needed to produce a clear tone.
Look at your fingernails of the fretting hand: are they changing their color, when you press the string? If so, you
probably use too much force.

Bernhard

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Totally agree with Bernhard. You will get callouses on your fingers eventually, irrespective of the type of guitar (nylon or steel strings) you end up playing. Enjoy, and welcome to the forum!
Rick
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

fivesense

Post by fivesense » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:Hi Doug!
Here's only my personal opinion (I am no guitar teacher or professional):
- Decide if you prefer classical guitar or acoustic (steel string) guitar - at least for now. This decision will be influenced by the
kind of music you'll like to play. As you noted, these two instruments are different beasts.
- Find a teacher for your instrument - self teaching as a beginner may lead to errors limiting your development and that are
hard to correct later on - it may take years to unlearn "bad" habits.
For classical guitar:
- If you cannot find or afford a teacher, you might look at the free guitar course offered here in the forum:
Online classical guirar lessons

BTW: Most beginners tend to press the string much too hard, much more than is needed to produce a clear tone.
Look at your fingernails of the fretting hand: are they changing their color, when you press the string? If so, you
probably use too much force.

Bernhard
Thank you Bernhard. I'm fairly certain that I'm pushing down on the strings too hard; the problem is getting the fingers in the proper spot while so close in proximity to one another. It seems so difficult at this early stage. I feel like I have to press down hard or I get fret buzz, typically on only one of the strings in a chord.

Regarding overall sound, the more I pay attention to the songs I enjoy, the more I do gravitate toward the rich tones of classical guitar.

From a mechanical perspective, does the wider neck and string spacing on a classical guitar make learning easier? It seems it would mitigate some of the issues I'm having getting my fingers to work in concert.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Doug,
the usually wider neck of a classical guitar can make learning easier; it depends on the size of your fingertips and your fretting hand.
When you get a fret buzz, maybe the point where you press down the string is not good. Some beginners tend
to press the string right in the middle between the fret markers, which easily leads to a fret buzz.
Please try to press the strings as close as possible to the frets and feel the pressure you need to produce a clear tone.
Maybe it is less than you expect. When you are learning with a steel string guitar, the necessary pressure will be higher
and the thin wires may hurt your fingertips earlier than on a classical nylon string guitar.

Bernhard

fivesense

Post by fivesense » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 am

I purchased a Breedlove Pursuit CE Nylon yesterday and although it's only been 24 hours, I'm extremely pleased. I had it restrung with Savarez Red strings and they are stretching and breaking in. The guitar sounds wonderful- exactly the classical tone I've always loved, even as a child when I didn't know the difference between steel and nylon.

At this point, I'm every bit the beginning novice- I feel comfortable with the D chord, semi-comfortable with the E chord, and darn right discouraged with the A chord. I'll have another lesson next week, but I'm pursuing the basics through Justin Guitar online. I need to burn off my frustration before sitting down with a professional.

Learning guitar in general is far more challenging than I anticipated. I'm having to practice my breathing and patience more than anything. If at this stage of my learning it is inappropriate for me to post in these forums, please let me know. I will completely understand.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:29 am

Hi Doug,

congratulations to your new guitar - I see you've bought a model which stands between steel string and classical guitar
(nut width 1.75 is closer to a typical steel, a classical guitar usually has a width around 2.0 inches), the cutaway on
classical guitars has been discussed here extensively.
If you enjoy the sound, the fretboard lies well under your fingers and the action (distance between strings and fretboard) is o.k. for you,
then you can enjoy many hours with your instrument.
If at this stage of my learning it is inappropriate for me to post in these forums, please let me know. I will completely understand.
This forum is a platform for all classical guitar players - we have courses with level D01 (absolute beginner) and we have professional concert
players here as well as (most) members which are in between.
So please keep asking; a little research here before posting is a good idea.

Bernhard

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:38 pm

As a passion test, if you are near Tempe, attend Judicael Perroy's performance this coming Friday evening at ASU. His program selection is surprisingly traditional and includes enough standard fare to make a solid impression. If you fall in love, you will know. If not, you can always leave early. :)

It would be nice to see a new face at a guitar event around here.

Welcome to the forum.

---

Judicael Perroy, Guitar
Katzin Concert Hall
Friday, January 27, 2017

Fantaisie élégiaque à la mort de Madame Beslay (Fernando Sor)
Suite Populaire Brésilienne (Heitor Villa-Lobos)
- Mazurka-Choro
- Schottish-Choro
- Valsa-Choro
- Gavotta-Choro
- Chorinho
- Fantaisie sur des motifs Hongrois (Johannes Dubez)

INTERMISSION

Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (Johann Sebastian Bach)
Choro de Saudade (Agustin Barrios)
Cataluña (Isaac Albeniz)
Sevilla (Isaac Albeniz)
-mitch

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Where in AZ are you? If you're near me and want to experiment with the feel of a more standard nut width and scale length, you're welcome to try one and compare side by side. You can also do that at guitar center or some of the other places around the valley if you're in greater Phoenix. Tucson has options too I'm sure, and I know a store in Prescott ... it's all good.

I'm about a year into it and very much the eager beginner too. Classical guitar training is much more about melody with individually played and overlapping notes than chords as typically played with acoustic steel string guitars. This type of playing on the wider flattened fretboard of a classical guitar may be easier to learn than "finger style" on a steel string acoustic (can't comment beyond experience - just postulating) but it's still challenging. Regardless of relative difficulty, this design of guitar has evolved along with this style of play so when I gravitated to the music, I went to the traditional design instrument and I'm glad I did.

The good news is that even beginner level classical guitar pieces are musically beautiful and satisfying to learn and to play. There's genius to appreciate from the very start.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:03 pm

I browse craigslist now and then.

https://showlow.craigslist.org/msg/6017807126.html

I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi Doug, Welcome to our world. All the advice above seems "spot on" to me. I would add that once you learn a few chord changes, simply repeat them over and over, maybe while watching TV or just sitting around. Don't think about it as a lesson, but simply walking around the fretboard. One advantage is that the changes will become more automatic since you will find that you can make the changes without looking at your fingers. My earliest guitar memories were sitting on my patio in Albuquerque, looking at the Sandia Mountains and changing chords and adding new ones. Enjoy!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Return to “Introduce yourself”