Phoenix area. Rekindling my love of guitar.

Jamesburch

Phoenix area. Rekindling my love of guitar.

Post by Jamesburch » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm

:D
Learned classical years ago in college. Life caused me to put the strings aside. Love the sound of the strings and after 30+ years now picking it up again. Still sounds great. Jim Burch

Erik Zurcher

Re: Phoenix area. Rekindling my love of guitar.

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello Jim and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Jim, many like you are members on this forum. Good luck, you are not alone!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum!

billmcgarry

Post by billmcgarry » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Jim,
I have a similar story - I took guitar lessons while a teenager, played in a rock band that lasted for 2 gigs [hey, it was the 60's!]. As you said, life happened and eventually, I had to trade my guitar for cash and a $300 new Larivee acoustic guitar and then began playing classical guitar.

That was about 6 years ago and I still play a bit (it sucks getting old!).

Welcome to the website -- it's great and you'll find enough sheet music here to play for years!

Bill

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Greetings from the west valley :)

I took up classical guitar lessons about 15 months ago and joined here last month.

How long had you been studying guitar in college? Were you making any music in the intervening years? I'm curious about your experience with retaining skills, both mental and physical.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

billmcgarry

Post by billmcgarry » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Greetings from Eastern Washington State (the dry part of the state),

Your post was for the original poster but I'll give you my experiences.

I had studied guitar and tenor banjo from when I was 10 until I was 21-22. I did not study music at all in college. I had a private teacher who came to my house once a week for an hour or so. He was not teaching me classical guitar. Then I graduated from college and got a job where I was traveling most of the time. Then I got married and had 3 children. I did not play the guitar at all

Then 40 years later, I start playing classical guitar using a non-classical guitar. Everything came back very quickly and I was doing very well. Unfortunately, then I broke my shoulder and had 10 surgeries over 3 years. At about the same time, arthritis sprung up in both hands and wrists and the ligaments in both hands had been damaged so it was all bone on bone. I stopped playing for 6-7 years and just started again in the past few days. I can put up with the pain but I just can't move the hand and fingers in many cases. A simple F chord -- no more. It sucks!

Nice cheery post, huh? Sorry!

Bill

chuckinphoenix

Post by chuckinphoenix » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello Jim,
Arizona greetings from New River.
Chuck
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Return to “Introduce yourself”