New member down in Southport, NC USA

ebquinn

New member down in Southport, NC USA

Post by ebquinn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey all y'all.

Played rock and some jazz for decades - Hendrix, Allman and McLaughlin lover (who isn't really?). Got deathly bored playing 3 and 4 chord pop tunes in a local cover band down here in southern coastal North Carolina. If I never hear an Eagles or Van Morrison tune again that is fine with me.
Quit the rock band. Quit a folk band. Realized I felt stuck, so started looking for inspirational, maybe a unique teacher with a different path.

Luckily stumbled upon a UNC music grad with primary instrument classical guitar.
Dove into lessons just a few months ago. Completely inspired. Calluses have moved 1/4 inch towards my fingernails. Left hand nails to the nub, right hand nails growing. Restrung an old Takamine steel string dreadnought with nylon, which gets me through lessons and practice, but . . .

Time has come to buy a student guitar. Considering Esteve (teacher has one), Burguet, Kremona, Saez Marin, Camps on reputation. Want to spend around $1K. Have tried some Cordobas and Yahamas around that range, not in love or even much like. Insisting on solid top with slight preference for spruce. Def prefer ebony fingerboard to rosewood. I have pretty big paws but old age and computer work arthritis limits my stretch and need to avoid very high action. Open to any ideas and open to used or open box.

Thankful this forum is here, it has provided all kinds of useful clues and ideas, so thanks to, well, all y'all.

Warm regards, E.B.

George Crocket

Re: New member down in Southport, NC USA

Post by George Crocket » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi E.B. Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a feel fo what goes on here already. But, if you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page where there is more information about the forum and its rules.

Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello E. B. and welcome to the forum! There's a lot of discussions here about buying a guitar. I wish you will get some good advice!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 am

Welcome and welcome to the search for a student guitar. In your price range you will likely do better to look at used guitars. I haven't looked on the site to see what's available. In the mountains on NC there is Dream Guitars and South on the coast in Georgia is Chartwell Guitars and in Maryland is Kirkpatrick Guitar Studio. If you want plywood cheap go to a big box store! In your town is a mail order string store, Strings and Beyond that might be of some help. Of course your UNC teacher would also be a good resource! My advice is take your time!
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

jroy

Post by jroy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 am

Had not heard of Chartwell before and it's <100 miles from my home. Thanks!!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 pm

jroy wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 am
Had not heard of Chartwell before and it's <100 miles from my home. Thanks!!
New life to an old thread. A welcome opportunity to give a shout out to Jay Jenkins, a gentleman, a scholar and a good person to know when you are looking for your dream guitar.
Good Luck!

Return to “Introduce yourself”