Here in America's home town, Plymouth, MA

Golfgnome

Here in America's home town, Plymouth, MA

Post by Golfgnome » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 pm

This is my first post in this forum and I hope it is the start of a great adventure. I am new to Classical guitar as far as playing goes. I have been listening and attending concerts for many, many years. I used to play electric and worked in a band for 20 years. Once I quit the band I put the guitar away for a long time, big mistake! Every so many years I would get it out and try to play but the longer I waited the worse I played. Basically I stopped playing for about 25 years. I still have my last electric (Gibson 335) and I will never get rid of it. I bought an inexpensive Yamaha beginner/student classical guitar and fooled around occasionally with it. Tried some instruction books but having played with a pick all my life my right hand is dreadful! I love the sound and the versatility so I thought it was time to make a real attempt. I am taking lessons from a great guitarist and teacher. We have only had two lessons so far but I am so happy with the progress I am making. Like many of you I am sure, I am finding some of the left hand stretches diabolical. The challenges on the right hand are many but the most difficult right now is forcing myself to use the ring finger when it should be used and not loading up on the middle finger.
Anyway, that's me for now. I'm really looking forward to the exchange of information here. I may be looking to upgrade my guitar and I'm sure there is a lot of knowledge here.
Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Here in America's home town, Plymouth, MA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello Golfgnome and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

bear

Post by bear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 pm

welcome, I'm down the road apiece. There are a couple of other members from Plymouth. I sold my 335 and used the money to have a "Hauser" built.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Welcome from the Western part of the State! :bye:
We are glad you have joined us and look forward to your contributions to the conversations.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 am

I really enjoyed your post and welcome to Delcamp. Plymouth has a special place in my memories. I grew up in the South and visited my college roommate in Scituate, MA and while there got treated to a visit to Plymouth where I had 'whole belly clams', a delicious experience. And some years later I went to graduate school in Cambridge, MA and a student design project of mine was preparing a master plan for Plymouth Plantation. I had discovered guitar by then, but not classical. For that it was another 12 or so years after graduate school. I remember my first real classical guitar and getting hooked on playing.
Upgrading ought to be a fun inquiry. Take your time and do thorough research before making your decision.
It's good that you have a teacher that may be able to guide you. Remember though that not all teachers know about the many luthiers or types of guitars. Read and listen and ask a lot of questions.
Best of luck.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Introduce yourself”