Hello from Connecticut

Semitone

Hello from Connecticut

Post by Semitone » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello Everybody,

I've been hanging out on this forum for about the last month trying to pick up any tidbits of knowledge I can.

Background:

I played electric guitar quite a bit when I was a teenager and took lessons back then. After a hiatus of many decades I started playing again about five years ago. I guess I am a fan of "all things guitar." I'm still mostly an electric player...usually rock, but I was in a jazz ensemble for a while. I like to tinker with my electric, change pickups...whatever. Built my own tube amp at one point a few years ago but now I am into digital modeling pretty much all the time.

Now:

I decided that I flit too much from style to style on guitar. One day I am playing slide on a folk instrument then a couple hours later working on my sweep picking on an electric. Occasionally, I would pick up my nylon string guitar and work on some "classical" pieces. Overall, I decided bouncing around so much was just slowing me down from really progressing... so about a month ago I decided to stick with nylon for the time being (TBD).

When I was young, I played pieces out of Levitt's book "Classical Studies for Pick-Style Guitar". That was more or less my intro to Classical Guitar. I never focussed on proper classical technique although a couple years ago I picked up Parkening's books and started to work my way through in a rather spotty way.

So now, as I said, I am focussing on nylon for a while. My electrics are packed up and in the closet. I am back to Parkening's books, some Youtube videos and a list of approx. 20 songs I hope to eventually play. We'll see how long I can stay away from electricity. Actually I have a Godin nylon strung instrument ( in addition to my classical acoustic) so I may be plugging in sooner than later but the pick is staying in the pocket for now.

Well, that is my longwinded intro....

Hello to everybody and thanks to everybody's posts I have read in the last 30 days. :merci:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Connecticut

Post by GeoffB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 am

Hello Semitone,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings, as well as the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

C-Squared

Post by C-Squared » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:37 am

Welcome neighbor!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”