Hello all from Arizona I'm Sam

Sam

Hello all from Arizona I'm Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Not a whole lot to say, I love the guitar just not very good playing it. Just picked it up by ear. I'm 50 don't read music and never really got anywhere with it. Someone said it's never to late I replied pretty close. So here I am would like to learn a little something before the dirt nap any advice all welcome thanks much.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello all from Arizona I'm Sam

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello Sam and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Hello Sam and welcome to the forum!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:42 pm

'Dirt nap' haha - welcome Sam!

Reading music is easy to learn, sir. Have fun :)
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

bear

Post by bear » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Sam wrote:Not a whole lot to say, I love the guitar just not very good playing it. Just picked it up by ear. I'm 50 don't read music and never really got anywhere with it. Someone said it's never to late I replied pretty close. So here I am would like to learn a little something before the dirt nap any advice all welcome thanks much.
Welcome, to the forum There are a lot of us rowing the same boat as you. Some of us (me) have kids your age, so you've got a ways to go. Grab an oar.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 am

Greetings from the west valley. I'm also 50, and I started taking this seriously about a year and a half ago. It's not too late to start by any means, but make no mistake - guitar is challenging. That being said, there is a lot of wonderful music to play as a beginner. Learning is very satisfying. I don't feel like I'm waiting to get better before the good stuff happens.

My STRONG advice is to find a teacher and take lessons. Yes, there are people who self-teach. However, the burnout rate appears high. The really good news is that learning classical guitar and learning to read music go hand in hand. As you learn how to hold the instrument and find notes, it's just natural to have that on paper. As you gain comfort playing, the musical reading naturally includes more notes to play.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 am

Welcome, and it's never too late to learn to read music. After much practice I can now ditch the tablature and actually read the staff. I would recommend Christopher Parkenings first instructional book as a start. I am currently going through it with my daughter who has only been playing for 2 months. It will have you reading in no time. Well, not too much time anyway. Hope to see you around the forum.
Scott in Oregon

Return to “Introduce yourself”