Greetings from the Scottish Highlands

chitarra1600

Greetings from the Scottish Highlands

Post by chitarra1600 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Greetings all,
Great to join this community. I'm Natasha. I've been playing classical guitar for over 20 years and I studied music for baroque guitar at university. Although I've played for a long time, I never really got to grips with my nerves, so I usually avoided performance and was content to play to myself. These past few years I've neglected the guitar while putting all my effort into my day job, but now I'm hoping to get back on track and finally do my diploma. It's something I always wanted to do but could never quite get my playing to the required level. Needless to say, my playing is a little rusty and I'm hoping the community here will help keep me motivated and that I'll find plenty of tips to improve my technique among the resources here. Obviously I have an interest in early guitar music. I have a baroque guitar, which I haven't been playing for long but am starting to get to grips with. I also have a real passion for the music of Latin America, and am hoping to play music by Villa-Lobos, Pereira and Piazzolla in my diploma recital. Bye for now.

Jack Douglas

Re: Greetings from the Scottish Highlands

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi Natasha,
Welcome. Where in the Scottish Highlands? It's such a beautiful area.
I wish you success in completing your diploma requirements.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi Natasha,

Welcome to the forum! The problem of nerves is one you'll see frequently discussed here. Just put "Performance Anxiety" into the search box at the top right of the page to see what I mean! Maybe you'll find some tips you haven't come across. In any case, I'm sure you'll find plenty here to interest you.

Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Natasha. Welcome from Glasgow. It's great that you are getting back into guitar. Many of our members get inspiration from different parts of the forum. There is plenty of interest for all tastes.

Good luck with the diploma.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Natasha. Good to see you here. I play baroque guitar myself, and lute, classical guitar too. See you around!

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 am

natasha - where are you thinking of doing your diploma?

chitarra1600

Post by chitarra1600 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone, and the words of encouragement. Jack, I live on the North West Coast near Gairloch. You're right, it is a beautiful part of the world. Good to see you here Rob. I don't know where I'll do the diploma yet. Seems rather a long way off just now. Going to have to get back into the swing of regular practice.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Natasha, if you ever feel the need to submerge yourself in guitar music for 5 days, visit the Classical Guitar Retreat on the Isle of Cumbrae.
If not this year, then maybe next year. Highly recommended: http://www.cgretreat.com
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello Natasha and welcome to the forum!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Welcome from the opposite end of the island (nearly equally damp at the moment I fancy). Do pitch in and get the most of the resources and support in these parts. Plenty of folks have experience of the various diplomas and of course the kind of repertoire therein.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

chitarra1600

Post by chitarra1600 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for the link to the retreat Erik. I'll keep it in mind for 2018.

Return to “Introduce yourself”