Greetings from Birmingham, UK

Smudger5150

Greetings from Birmingham, UK

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 am

Hello I'd like to introduce myself so here goes...

I’m an on/off guitar player who has reached Grade 5 (UK exams) classical Guitar and who loves all types of music.
I started learning guitar in my teens starting with the usual chords but didn’t find it easy to start with and then it wasn’t until I got a Happy Traum tutorial book that taught you sight music and fingerstyle (classical/folk/Spanish etc) in my early 20s that my learning of the guitar really took off.

I actually learned saxophone for about 2 months in my early teens too but that didn’t have too much impact on my musical learning.

After getting to approximately grade 3-ish level on the guitar, I started taking classical guitar lessons in my mid20s and after a couple of years passed my grade 5.
This was whilst I was at University.
When I left the area to work in the Birmingham area, needless to say, work got in the way and I have struggled to resume the same level of playing.
However, I still manage to play and practise occasionally and have gone to open-mic nights and a local classical guitar club (now defunct) to either play pieces or sing songs with guitar accompaniment.
I have recently tried to resume my classical guitar exam studies and I’ve got the details of the various UK board’s exams such as pieces and exam requirements (scales, arpeggios etc) and I’m slowly going through them.

I am also trying to balance this with learning pieces that I love that aren’t part of the exams – and these are classical and non-classical instrumental pieces.
Pieces that I’m currently learning are:- Danza by Ruiz-Pipo, Un dia de Novembre by Brouwer, Mood for a day by Steve Howe and Spanish Fly by Van Halen (this one might take me a while!)

As mentioned, I love all music but have a particular fondness for all things guitar.
I like to listen to all styles from classical, folk, jazz to flamenco to blues to hard and heavy rock/metal etc.

Not sure about favourites but I have a fondness for Pepe Romero, Ida Presti, Antigoni Goni, Dominic Miller, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Howe, Wes Montgomery, Santana, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Michael Hedges (RIP), Dave Evans, Gordon Giltrap, Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia to name a few.

My guitar is a 2nd-hand Yamaha held together by masking tape (gasp with horror!) so my fondness for rock guitarist Van Halen is quite apt (see his early guitars!).

Have read a fair few discussion on this forum and thought it was about time I joined an contributed.

Thanks for reading.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

oski79

Re: Greetings from Birmingham, UK

Post by oski79 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:18 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Smudger

Welcome to Delcamp. How are you getting on with the Ruiz-Pipo? It used to be on the Trinity list at grade 8. Un dia de noviembre is easier but there are some difficult passages in the second part. I advise looking at the scores on Delcamp when you have access to find pieces at a suitable grade. The Iceland Guitar School is another source of free graded music.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:29 pm

DerekB wrote:Hi Smudger

Welcome to Delcamp. How are you getting on with the Ruiz-Pipo? It used to be on the Trinity list at grade 8. Un dia de noviembre is easier but there are some difficult passages in the second part. I advise looking at the scores on Delcamp when you have access to find pieces at a suitable grade. The Iceland Guitar School is another source of free graded music.
Hi Derek8,

You're right! The Ruiz-Pipo is on the 2015 Trinity list at grade 8.
I started learning it because it's a favourite of mine since hearing the Sky version in my teens. I recently heard a Sharon Isbin version and thought 'I heard that before and would love to play it!'.
I actually sought out all the pieces for grade 6 to 8 for Trinity, LCM and ABRSM and couldn't find Danza at the time.
But then I looked for it separately later on after the Isbin version and eventually found it not remembering that it was a grade 8 piece!

The tricky bit to it I think, unless I'm playing it wrong, is the right-hand of i-p that's repeated throughout, if I remember rightly (not got the music in front of me). But once I'd got that under my skin, it didn't seem too bad. Must point out that I haven't mastered playing it through properly but I'm surprised it's a grade 8 piece.

The Brouwer piece is for grade 6 and I agree the the 2nd part has the difficult passages higher up the fretboard.
Note:- I passed the LCM exams so that's the one I'm following at the mo with pieces to follow like El Marabino, Rosita, Romance de Los Pinos amongst others.

Thanks for the info about scores. I actually like trying out new and unknown pieces too so I'm looking forward to seeing what I find.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”