Greetings from the UK

mdub2000

Greetings from the UK

Post by mdub2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:04 am

Hi there my name is Mark and I'm really happy to be here. Theres seems to be such great community of folks here willing to learn and help each other grow as musicians. I've been playing guitar when I was about 14 years old and I'm now in my 40's but my understanding has been limited because I was mainly self taught with many gaps. Believe it or not I started playing guitar because of heavy metal and was amazed by some of the virtuosity that guitarist in the metal guitarist had. In the process of trying to learn how to play like a speed demon a learned many of these guys had their foundations in classical but before I could gain a full appreciation of classical I quit trying to play metal because I didn't know how to get better and I ended up mainly playing for my church and sticking to basic chords with maybe some basic understanding of blues and jazz theory and what not. Well as a bucket list goal for myself I've decided to put myself on a new journey into classical guitar for a few reasons. One is that the pieces from the great composers are just so deeply beautiful, that sound, the melodies the music really moves me emotionally and I've come to appreciate it so much more as I've aged. Two, I like the discipline that comes behind learning this style there is a lot of mindfulness that goes behind technique and playing to prevent injury and to me thats important for longevity. Three I do want to improve myself in the discipline of learning how to be competent at reading music for the guitar. Reading music has always been such a weakness for me and I feel that classical stresses this aspect quite well compared to many of the other styles of guitar. Lastly I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to keep my bucket list of goals waiting forever heheheh. So right now I'm looking to start by trying an online course but it seems like there are quite a few but the two I'm looking at are Simon Powis's site "classical guitar corner" and Allan Matthews "classical guitar shed" and from what I've seen on the introductions to their sites they sound so similar. Its a hard decision but I definitely would need one that is more systematic....if anybody could offer their personal take on the sites I'd greatly appreciate it.

So thats a little bit about me in a nutshell. I love guitar and I'm so glad to be here with this great community of like minded folks. Thanks for accepting my registration by the way:)

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by George Crocket » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Mark. Welcome to Delcamp. We really do have a great community here, with lots of interesting and useful discussions going on. To begin, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

mdub2000

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by mdub2000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks George I appreciate the welcome:) I look forward to future discussions and learnings. Man I'm really excited about this...I don't know why I guess its just long over due:)

Return to “Introduce yourself”