Greetings from a 'lefty' in the UK

Mach13

Greetings from a 'lefty' in the UK

Postby Mach13 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Hey folks glad to introduce myself.. :D

I'm left handed and play left handed and this is my musical journey to date...

At the grand young age of 50 in 2010 although never having had any previous musical experience, and perhaps in a mid-life kind of way :shock: ,I bought a cheap electric strat styled guiter and bumbled my way through learning to play Cavatina (Hank Marvin style). It took me a long time to get to that point...... But youtube introduced me to a lovely chap called Per Olov. His classical guitar work mesmerized me so much that my next foray was (with his permission) to attempt a virtual duet using my electric on a song of his called 'I Will Be There' (also on my youtube channel) He was very generous and encouraging with his comments (even tho it wasn't great :wink: and that encouraged me get some lessons...

So in 2012 I took some lessons to learn acoustic guitar. and quickly focused on fingerpick style and that in itself led on to writing my own folk oriented stuff - I just love the creative process

A Craig Ogden CD (The Guitarist) bought by my wife, finally hooked me on the classical style (Favorite pieces :casque: Le Onde and Romance No1) So.... in 2016 I bought myself a lovely classical RH Yamaha C30 which i converted to lefty... it has such a gorgeous tone

I haven't committed to ongoing classical lessons as yet. I had one lesson, learnt Andantino but to be honest at this moment in time I just use it to write with... I write and record my own music (recording itself has been a steep learning curve)

My guitar work is fairly limited but i'm enjoying where i'm at.... :merci:
A lefty and new to classical guitar
Yamaha C40 (converted to lefty)
Ortega RCE 131L
...erm and a few others :)
Sonar Platinum & Izotope (for Mixing & mastering)
Very much an amateur, but if you need help with mixing or mastering am happy to help

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from a 'lefty' in the UK

Postby GeoffB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Mach13,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction! I'm afraid I needed to edit out the video, because Stanley Myers' work is still copyrighted, and the forum rules only allow the posting of music that is in the public domain (which usually means the composer, and arranger if there is one, died at least 70 years ago), unless permission is obtained and forwarded in advance. Also, in fact, the rules only allow recordings played on classical or acoustic guitars. Sorry about that. Of course you are welcome to post any recordings of public domain music, or your own compositions, that you make with your classical guitar. Per Olov Kindgren is well known and liked here, by the way, and has generously given permission for his compositions to be played on the forum (you can find a list of other composers who have done so here).

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Mach13

Postby Mach13 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks Geoff.. much appreciated
Rgds Mark
Ortega RCE 131L
Very much an amateur, but if you need help with mixing or mastering am happy to help

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi Mach13,

Welcome to the forum. Did you convert the Yamaha yourself? It can be tricky to get the action right if there is a twist in the fingerboard.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Mach13

Postby Mach13 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi James thanks for the welcome

I didn't have a lot of cash to spend so I converted it myself. You may want to close your eyes here... :oops: I simply re-cut the nut and as the saddle seemed parallel to the nut I then swapped the saddle around and softened the edge of the section where the G string sits. Rough n ready but I have checked the intonation and it seems ok for my needs... :chaud: That said I don't play much down the neck at my level.

I figured if it worked and sounded ok i'd try to find a decent lefty bone saddle... but they seem hard to find.
Rgds Mark
Ortega RCE 131L

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:37 am

Mach13 wrote:Hi James thanks for the welcome

I didn't have a lot of cash to spend so I converted it myself. You may want to close your eyes here... :oops: I simply re-cut the nut and as the saddle seemed parallel to the nut I then swapped the saddle around and softened the edge of the section where the G string sits. Rough n ready but I have checked the intonation and it seems ok for my needs... :chaud: That said I don't play much down the neck at my level.

I figured if it worked and sounded ok i'd try to find a decent lefty bone saddle... but they seem hard to find.
Rgds Mark

My wife is a lefty and I just got her her first guitar in December. If you think it's hard finding a guitar as a lefty, ad to that being physically small enough to need a short scale guitar. I found her a left hand conversion in 3/4 size that had a new nut and compensated saddle. I jumped on it. It's brand is Ashland and it has a solid top. I was so pleased. It's quality is about that of a Yamaha C40 and I paid less than 200 dollars. And it came set up. We just lucked out.

There is a thread here somewhere about being left handed and playing guitar. I started out left handed, but my teachers forced me to write right handed. So by the time I got my first guitar, I was already used to doing things right handed, so I never played guitar left handed, except for the handful of chords I can play on my wife's guitar.

Mach13

Postby Mach13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:33 am

My wife is a lefty and I just got her her first guitar in December. If you think it's hard finding a guitar as a lefty, ad to that being physically small enough to need a short scale guitar. I found her a left hand conversion in 3/4 size that had a new nut and compensated saddle. I jumped on it. It's brand is Ashland and it has a solid top. I was so pleased. It's quality is about that of a Yamaha C40 and I paid less than 200 dollars. And it came set up. We just lucked out.

Thanks for chipping... That was a good result on that guitar... :bravo: I've found that a good number of classicals that I've seen have a saddle that sits parallel to the nut so conversion wouldn't be such a big task, even if you got luthier to do it it on a decent one, so it should cost that much. I know there are still those around hat disagree but I'm all for going with what feels right. There is so much science has yet to uncover with how the brain works, and some speak of it's plasticity to adapt, but I cant help thinkin that there is a reason for left handedness and I dont see why anyone should be forced to fight it.. My dad was forced to use his pen right handed.. they used to tie hands behind the back in those days... :wink: :shock: Hopefully we are a little more 'enlightened' nowadays :)
Ortega RCE 131L

ukulelesteve1234

Postby ukulelesteve1234 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi Mach13,

Welcome to the site! It's always nice to know that there are others who play left-handed. I'm not sure why I do, since I'm actually right-handed. But trying to even hold a guitar for right-handed playing feels so foreign and awkward to me.

For future reference Cordoba makes a number of their nylon-string models for left-handed players. And a Google search of "left-handed classical guitar" will yield a number of sites that cater to the left-handed player.

Best,
Steve
All instruments left-handed
Pavan Flamenco Negra
Córdoba C10
Mya-Moe Tenor Cutaway 'Ukulele, Low G
Mya-Moe Baritone Cutaway 'Ukulele
Kamaka Long-Neck Tenor 8-String 'Ukulele
Kanile'a Baritone 'Ukulele tuned C6, High G

Mach13

Postby Mach13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks Steve ..much appreciated
Ortega RCE 131L

Return to “Introduce yourself”