Once more over the breech . . .

Ironwood

Once more over the breech . . .

Post by Ironwood » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:21 am

Sorry for delay in posting my [re-]introduction to the group. Work often becomes encompassing, which means I neglect visiting websites like this, partly because there is simply no time, partly because guilt overcomes me in the belief that surely there is something really important that needs attention. So thanks to the Administrator for allowing me to rejoin a facinating and enjoyable website.

I had wanted to learn guitar from a young age but my parents thought learning to play a more "respectable" instrument like clarinet was a much better use of my time. It wasn't unti I was a teenager that learning to play the guitar was agreeable. Within the first year of figuring out how to place my fingers based on the chord diagrams while struggling to sound something like the players I wished to emulate, there was a television (re)broadcast of what must have been a Segovia masterclass, a black-and-white programme in which The Maestro presided over a group of then young players which included, among others, Oscar Ghiglia, with unimaginably skilful playing. About the same, also on the tele but in colour, was a series of short programmes featuring guitarists including Christopher Parkening, Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd. I had to learn to play classical guitar! With a Guild Mark II I was ready. The closest teacher, however, was miles away and without a car . . . well, all dressed up and no place to go.

Unfortunately, by the time I lived in a place where classical guitar instruction was available and I had the wherewhithal to afford lessons, there was no time. Working away from home for months at a time, I often travelled with a guitar, sometimes "hooking up" with friends [no name-dropping here] who would act as impromtu teachers/jurors. Now that I the time to properly study "classical guitar" and try to play Bach and Bonfa, the early onset of arthritis makes it difficult. But I continue to listen and watch; and perhaps as a substitute, have succumbed to GAS, which has included the acquisition of a stupendous Kevin Aram "Hauser" guitar. Owning the Aram inspires me to keep trying.

This time, I hope to keep up with my responsiblities as a "member" of the group by regularly posting (or at least meeting the minimum requirement) and to enjoy reading what others write and contribute.
V. E.

'72 Guild Mark II
'76 Gurian S3M
'96 Sobell Model 1 Sicilian
'97 Bown 000
'00 Aram "Hauser"
'09 Martin 000-18 Marquis
'11 Nick Apollonio 12-string Bell
'12 Martin D-41 Custom
'13 Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen
'17 Martin CS OMC-21
and more.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Once more over the breech . . .

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 am

Hello Ironwood and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Once more over the breech . . .

Post by James Lister » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

Welcome back Ironwood!

It's easy enough to keep your post count high enough to avoid being purged - just post occasional welcome messages to new members, or better still comment on recordings/videos posted by members.

Congratulations on the Aram - very nice guitars.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Introduce yourself”