A re-joining member! - and advance notice of some new Debussy!

John Kemp

A re-joining member! - and advance notice of some new Debussy!

Post by John Kemp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 am

I have been playing classical guitar for nearly 60 years, and am Secretary of the Canterbury Guitar Society. I appreciate the 'extended' international guitar repertoire from non-player composers, from Frank Martin to Ronald Binge - to name just two - in addition to the 'standard' largely hispanic pieces. I enjoy doing some editing and transcriptions, and had pieces by William Croft and Vaughan Williams published many years ago. I joined Delcamp in 2014 largely to place an edition of a Lullaby by my late father, Lloyd Kemp, and my own transcription of a Scarlatti sonata, but unfortunately allowed my membership to lapse. (I am hoping it is technically possible to reincarnate my lapsed membership so that I am identified with my previous posts). My transcriptions include a lot of Debussy, made mostly over 30 years ago, but I have done little with them owing to the then copyright constraints. I have recently resurrected my favourite, "La Puerta del Vino" and will shortly be submitting this, now almost entirely free of copyright constraints, with some virtuoso engraving by Bernhard Heimann. I am also interested in luthiery. As an amateur player I am largely self-taught, but over the years I have had some short series of lessons from three excellent and demanding teachers. My playing has been in the doldrums but is now improving quickly as I reinstate my self-discipline!
Last edited by John Kemp on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik Zurcher

Re: A re-joining member! - and advance notice of some new Debussy!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 am

Hello John and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi John, welcome back!
John Kemp wrote:... (I am hoping it is technically possible to reincarnate my lapsed membership so that I am identified with my previous posts). ...
I'm sorry, but that isn't technically possible. Once an account has been deleted from the database, there is no way of recreating it or linking to it. Don't forget to post at least one message per month of membership to keep your account open (though you can build up a "credit" in advance to cover longer periods away, so posting 12 messages now would safeguard your account for a whole year, for example). The only other proviso is that you need to log in at least once per year, regardless of postcount, to show the account hasn't been abandoned. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi John,

Good to see you back here.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Looking forward to reading your posts!

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 am

Can I thank Geoff, Erik, and James for the warm welcome on my (re)joining Delcamp. My introductory post has disappeared into the moderators' maelstrom again simply because I have edited it by adding a missing word "my" in one sentence - I do hope I manage to maintain my membership by complying with the rules better this time around!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Ah yes, sorry, that's an unfortunate consequence of the automated system which makes newly joined members' posts (or edits) subject to approval until after their second post. Your introduction is now rescued from the maelstrom! :wink:
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Phew! I see I'm back in the land of the living and can now reply to Cliff! I'm already finding the system tricky to manage again, as I wanted to post my Debussy as my first post, but I can't do this as I have to have two posts approved first - and my posts from my previous membership, which included two well-received transcriptions, don't count! SO - IN REPLY TO CLIFF - This is what I've done and why. You'll see it in my next post!

I think the art of transcription begins with picking the right piece! I made the transcription (in 1979) because I loved the piece so much, and it was surely inspired by Spain and the guitar. I was able to do little with it at the time because of copyright constraints. It's at the limit of my technique, and I didn't revisit it till recently: I'm now retired, and I have a little more time to play. I recently came across the subsequently published transcriptions by Carles Trepat and Charles Postlewate. All three transcriptions have much in common in their handling of the easy parts of the piece, but the three of us have handled the difficult parts very differently. Carles Trepat's beautiful edition has has prioritised delicacy of sound, Charles Postlewate's version, published in his volume "Homage to Villa-Lobos", champions a RH technique using all five digits, as did Villa-Lobos, whereas I have spotted some opportunities afforded by some slightly unorthodox fingering to keep exceptionally close to Debussy's text. In my view there is room for all three transcriptions. Mine has been well received by Giacomo Susani, the only concert player I have so far shown it to. WATCH THIS SPACE!!!

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Dear Geoff, rescue me again, please! I tried to submit my - our - Debussy, only to greeted with pdf "Invalid Extension!" ... ... I could open it in Photoshop and submit the selfsame pixels in jpg format but that can't be necessary or right, surely? "Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." ... ... How very true!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:49 pm

True indeed! Your problem is that PDF files are only allowed in certain sections of the forum. You need to post your transcription in Our scores for classical guitar, and you should find that the file is OK there. The title of the post needs to be in a standard format to allow sorting and searching, and you can find guidance on that here. Having posted it there, you can give a link to the post from here if you wish. (To do so, right-click on the post title and choose "Copy link location" or whatever the equivalent is on your browser, then paste it into your post here).
Classical Guitar Forum.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

I would love to hear some audio or video of your transcriptions. Debussy is my fave composer, and I am considering attempting a transcription, myself.

KP

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:17 pm

My piece is now online at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=111501&p=1186190#p1186190
I am an amateur player and cannot record to professional, Delcamp standards. But I have had several transcriptions published, mostly many years ago by several publishers (see my profile), and Giacomo Susani intends to record my transcription of La Puerta del Vino.

Return to “Introduce yourself”