Hello from Macclesfield UK

AlanBirch

Hello from Macclesfield UK

Post by AlanBirch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm a lifelong bedroom guitarist who finally got round to taking proper lessons on retiring a few years ago. My teacher did a great job to get me up to grade 8 quite quickly and is now encouraging me to go on to do the ABRSM diploma. I'm not sure if that would be a step too far - anyone had experience of how big a jump it is between the two?

oski79

Re: Hello from Macclesfield UK

Post by oski79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 am

Hello Allan, sounds like you doing, and have done, really well with your guitar playing
I'm new to the site too and I'm at grade 5 and hoping to emulate you to get to g8.
Good luck on the diploma if you go for it.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Alan, welcome to Delcamp. As Smudger says, you have done really well to get to grade 8. I was preparing for grade 8 until I broke a bone in my wrist. It has taken ages to heal and I still need hand therapy to get my right hand working properly. As you can see I am just a couple of miles away. If you would like to meet up some time to compare notes, send me a PM.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

AlanBirch wrote:My teacher did a great job to get me up to grade 8 quite quickly and is now encouraging me to go on to do the ABRSM diploma. I'm not sure if that would be a step too far - anyone had experience of how big a jump it is between the two?
Can't say I have, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

It sounds to me like you want to go for it, so I reckon you should! What's the downside? Maybe that you don't get to choose what you play, or have only a limited choice... or is that true at diploma level?

Return to “Introduce yourself”