Guitar Picker from Mississippi - Gets Classical

MSGuitar

Guitar Picker from Mississippi - Gets Classical

Postby MSGuitar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello, I'm James (MSGuitar) and I'm happy to find this site and become a member. I've been a member on similar sites that related to my interests and I've found that I always gain knowledge and an appreciation from sharing in discussions with like-minded individuals. I'm just wondering why I've not joined any guitar forums before now.

I've lived 6 decades fully. Back in the 70's I owned a Takamine Mimic-Martin and worked with it for 3 years before life got too busy and I gave it to my nephew. 5 years ago I decided that I really did want to play guitar so on a whim I bought a used Martin. I stayed with that guitar for about a year before I got a nicer one. I don't have that one anymore (gave it to my nephew) but I have a nice guitar collection. I'm a better guitar collector than I am a player. Here is a list of my acoustic guitars-

1993 Martin MC-28
2007 Martin D-28 (Adirondack Spruce Top)
2012 Martin D12-28
2004 Martin J-40
2013 Martin Backpacker Guitar
National 14-Fret Resonator Guitar
1990 Takamine C-132S

The Takamine Classical is my latest acquisition. I just got it last month and it is what brought me to this site. It's a beautiful Cedar topped guitar with Brazilian Rosewood back & sides and is in mint condition. I added a dot on the neck above the 7th fret using whiteout and fingernail polish. I have old hands but regardless I still pick at playing my steel strings. I bought the classical because I'm a finger picker at heart and I figured I'd be able to play longer on the classical. I bought the Takamine in memory of the old F-340 I bought in San Francisco back in '77. But that wasn't my 1st guitar. I was in the service and was stationed in Germany where I bought a classical guitar that I wish I still had (gave it to my brother). But the Takamine was cherished while I had it and I learned a good bit about guitar from that experience. So when I started back 5 years ago I knew some basic chords and could tune a guitar with no problem. I try to play every night and have developed some understanding of the instrument. I'm self taught using what I can find on the net and started by playing some songs. Now I'm focused on learning the structural aspects of guitar and am putting a lot of effort into being proficient at the CAGED system. I'm doing well with that but need to get back to playing music.

oski79

Re: Guitar Picker from Mississippi - Gets Classical

Postby oski79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
"Before Elvis, there was nothing." --John Lennon

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 am

Hello James and welcome to the forum!

MSGuitar

Postby MSGuitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks.