Hello from Australia

Robert Charles

Hello from Australia

Post by Robert Charles » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:37 am

Hi, I live on the Gold Coast which is near Brisbane, Australia. I've been watching this site for a while and finally decided to join, so here I am!
I'm retired so have plenty of time to spend on my guitar, which I love. I've been learning for just over two years: the first year teaching myself with so so results and the second year with the help of a very good teacher. Since learning with this teacher I feel I have made good progress, although sometimes its frustrating to do things his way slowly when all I want to do is race ahead. :D
At the moment I am concentrating on two popular pieces by Tarrega: Adelita and Lagrima. I haven't got them down just the way I would want yet, but improving all the time. My teacher sets more basic stuff as his focus is on correct technique and a quality output. I understand and appreciate this but my nature is to strike out and experiment, so we have a truce, of sorts.
Other stuff I am starting on is some traditional Irish folk music.

One of the chief motivations for me to join this forum is that I have no opportunity to talk to or play music with others like myself who love classical guitar. It has been a solitary quest so far. I'm looking forward to meeting and chatting with others.

Well, that's me for now.
Rob
Rob

Katoh MCG 200S (2016)
Yamaha G55 (1971)

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by George Crocket » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 am

Hello Rob. Welcome to the forum. There are lots of us retirees here. :sage: It's a great time to learn classical guitar, though the only advances that we can expect to be rapid are the advances in our ages! :(

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Rob. Welcome to the forum

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you here.

Regards
Peter (Sydney)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Rob,

As others have said, welcome to the forum.

Your desire to race ahead is very common and something that I'm sure most of us experience at some stage. However I would encourage you to follow the advice of your teacher as best you can and not try and skip ahead too quickly.

I recently read an interesting booklet called "How to practice 5 habits to help make your music practice more efficient and effective", written by an experienced music teacher called Simon Horsey. Simon allows for the work to be shared freely and it is available as a download if you wish to find a copy of it. I highly recommend it as it has many great tips for how to practice more efficiently. One of the most interesting tips for me is that according to the author, you will actually make faster progress overall by slowing EVERYTHING down.

There is also an excellent fact sheet called "Segment practice and Performance Practice" written by fellow forum member Dr. Larry McDonald. Once again this is available online by searching for it by its name. Larry also advocates the importance of slowing everything down and breaking things up into bite size chunks and working on these segments until you can get them 100% correct. I think you will find a lot of synergies between the two articles and I would encourage you to read both and then form your own judgement. I can tell you that since I have encouraged my children to adopt these strategies they have progressed faster and have been able to retain a lot more of what they practice each week.

All the best,

Paul (Melbourne).

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello Rob, welcome to the forum!

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 pm

G'day Rob and welcome. I also have a feeling for the Doing Things by Oneself. :(

I'm glad that you've found a good teacher; that must have helped a lot.

Cheers, martinardo (vic.)
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Robert Charles

Post by Robert Charles » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 am

Thanks for the welcomes to all who replied above. Thanks too, to Paul for the recommendation re slow practice. I am learning to do this but seem to require many many reminders to slow down. Hopefully this will sink in and I will incorporate it into all my learning and practice.
Rob

Katoh MCG 200S (2016)
Yamaha G55 (1971)

Return to “Introduce yourself”