Greetings from Fresno, California, USA

rbdundas

Greetings from Fresno, California, USA

Post by rbdundas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:33 pm

I started playing classical when I was 15 years old and am now 44. I stopped playing when I was 19, due to, well...life. I have recently started playing again (February 2017), and am trying not to waste any time making up those lost years. I play a number of styles of music, but want to concentrate solely on classical at this time. I would classify my playing and reading ability as intermediate (but more on the beginner side than advanced).

I took lessons from Gregory Coleman in Southern California, who has since deceased, and is greatly missed. I also took a few lessons from Frederick Noad, in Irvine, CA, to prepare for a recital. It took me three lessons to figure out that "Fred" was the Fred who wrote the book! Greg simply called him and arranged the lessons with Fred, whom he introduced as a master teacher.

I started with Classical. I worked for Round Table Pizza as a teenager, and a fellow employee brought his guitar to work and played during break. He played Tarrega's Adelita and Lagrima and Villa-Lobos' Etude No. 1, and I was in awe. I don't remember his name, but I remember the music he played. The next day, he played El Testament D'Amelia, and I went and bought a $100 nylon string guitar POS and signed up for lessons from his teacher (Greg) within a day or two.

I am currently working on Ferrer's Cantilene Espagnole and I just completed the Royal Conservatory of Music's book 3 Bridges.

I came across this site Google-ing PDF sheet music and couldn't believe this treasure trove of music existed! Thank you for your time and energy in keeping this site up and maintained.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from Fresno, California, USA

Post by GeoffB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi rbdundas,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction! Many of us here have a similar period of "lost years" to look back on and perhaps regret, but there's usually all the more enthusiasm the second time round. Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Luuttuaja

Re: Greetings from Fresno, California, USA

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”