Greetings from Glasgow, UK

Guitar Nut

Greetings from Glasgow, UK

Post by Guitar Nut » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm in my second year teaching myself the guitar. I feel as if I have come a long way since I started and I would like to keep on improving.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from Glasgow, UK

Post by GeoffB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello Guitar Nut,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Guitar Nut, welcome to our forum. There is nothing wrong being self-taught, but a teacher will boost your progress. There are so many excellent teachers in Glasgow. Have you considered taking private lessons? Check out youtube: Matthew McAllister, Allan Neave, Peter Stewart, Sean Shibe, Ian Watt.

Furthermore, have a look here: http://www.cgretreat.com/
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi Guitar Nut. Welcome to the forum form another Guitar Nut. :D Maybe I'll see you at some of the local CG events. :discussion:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:56 pm

One of the finest players around teaches in Glasgow, John Hallam, have a look at his Albeniz

https://youtu.be/2e7j_kXLiv4

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for posting this, Gary. I had never heard of John Hallam, another guitarist for me to follow.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:17 pm

No problem Erik, I've seen John play a few times including one of the finest performances of the Bach chaconne, I also saw him perform the Aranjuez note perfect at the Conservatoire of Scotland.

Guitar Nut

Post by Guitar Nut » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:17 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have considered having one on one lessons to see what I could be doing better. I'll check out those guitarists you all mentioned. Thanks again!

Guitar Nut

Post by Guitar Nut » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 am

I'd like to go to some local CG performances but I'm not sure where or when they are. Is there a list somewhere or is it a case of keeping an eye on the venues and waiting until a CG one turns up?

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:06 am

You need a keen eye. The Royal Conservatoire has a very active and successful guitar department which hosts a variety of events including junior and senior student concerts as well as performances by international artists. The Big Guitar Weekend is held there every November - it is a Friday-Sunday festival with a varied programme featuring local and visiting guitarists. Check out the RCS box office regularly to see what's on. There have been several events there in recent months, so there may not be much in the immediate future.

Watch the concerts listings on this forum. Although not comprehensive, some events appear here. For instance Delcamp member Matthew McAllister is playing a lunchtime concert in the city centre in a couple of weeks - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=109712. Matthew is an international concert artist who teaches at the RCS.

It is worth following the web presences (FB, websites etc) of local classical guitarists to find out when they may be playing - Allan Neave, Ian Watt, Sean Shibe, Marco Ramelli, Sasha Pavalone (not an exhaustive list).
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”