Hello from Northridge, CA

AbrahamPak

Hello from Northridge, CA

Post by AbrahamPak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I have been a longtime occasional lurker of this forum. I have had an interest in guitars since I was a child, although I remember being more fascinated by the various colors and styles of electric guitars. But my parents steered me towards the violin as a child. I remember despising the teacher at the time and ended up dropping it while still young. In retrospect, I wish I stuck with it. Then, I joined band while in high school and the teacher at the time steered me away from the reed instruments that I was interested in and placed me in the brass section with a trombone to fill the hole... I don't seem to have a lot of luck getting to play the instrument I'm interested in.

Now, years later when I finally make enough to buy the instrument I want to play, I decided that the guitar was the instrument I'm going to pick up. Now here I am with a La Patrie Etude and the Noad book trying to learn how to play. I decided to finally make an account on here to take advantage of all the resources this site has available as well as to enroll in the class come September.

I am interested in learning to play classical music (particularly baroque), jazz, and some more modern music renditions.

I look forward getting to know my instrument and you all!

-Abraham Pak

oski79

Re: Hello from Northridge, CA

Post by oski79 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Abraham!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello Abraham, welcome to the forum!

ukulelesteve1234

Post by ukulelesteve1234 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Welcome Abraham, and best of luck with your guitar studies! We who live in Southern California have so many resources. In addition to studying here I would suggest that you look into concerts that are given at Cal State Northridge. They have a guitar program there and I'm sure you can see/hear student recitals there. And the American Guitar Society (http://www.americanguitarsociety.org/index.php) meets monthly at LA Valley College, and they have concerts as well. I find it inspiring to see and hear others play.
All instruments left-handed
Pavan Flamenco Negra
Córdoba C10
Mya-Moe Tenor Cutaway 'Ukulele, Low G
Mya-Moe Baritone Cutaway 'Ukulele
Kamaka Long-Neck Tenor 8-String 'Ukulele
Kanile'a Baritone 'Ukulele tuned C6, High G

Return to “Introduce yourself”