Hello from Devon

Lamity

Hello from Devon

Postby Lamity » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Hello, I’m from the UK and live in South Devon.

I started to learn the guitar when I was 50 but have had a break from it for quite a few years, as I was struggling to progress with it. At first I went to evening college on a 12 week course for guitar beginners and I learned how to make a ‘clean’ sound when playing the notes. Over the period of (say) two years I used self-help books to practice simple pieces but I think, as I had not progressed enough to play a simple tune, I thought I was just not going to be able to learn how to play the guitar - so I stopped.

That was 13 years ago!! Yesterday I found this website and read the post “Too old to learn classical…dilemma” and it has made me think: well maybe I should try again - my fingers have started twitching!

Its the sound of finger style guitar playing that I love and when I bought my guitar I didn’t know what I was buying (doh!). My steel string guitar has a good quality sound and I realise that it is not suitable for playing classical music but I will bring out my books and start again.

If anyone has any advice on what to look out for when buying a classical guitar, then that would be very much appreciated.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Devon

Postby GeoffB » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello Lamity,

Welcome to the forum! Many of us here had a similar long gap in our playing, but enjoyed it all the more on returning to the guitar. If you can manage to get at least a few one-to-one lessons from a qualified classical guitar teacher, that's usually the best way to get past the lack of progress that can happen with self-teaching. Otherwise we do have online lessons here (more details here and here). And you should find some help on choosing a suitable guitar in our "Advice on buying" section here.

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Greetings from along the coast! I second Geoff's suggestion re lessons not least as that would be a good way to sort out how to proceed with a new guitar.
If that's not possible the best bet is to decide on a budget, go to a decent music shop (preferably one that has more guitars than anything else) and ask! I wouldn't go for anything fancy to start with. I always suggest starters get themselves the Admira model that best fits their budget. Though many smaller shops are less likely to stock them.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Lamity

Postby Lamity » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Thank you both for your quick response.

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

KlaBueBaer

Postby KlaBueBaer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 am

Hi Lamity,

Lamity wrote:Hello, I’m from the UK and live in South Devon.
If anyone has any advice on what to look out for when buying a classical guitar, then that would be very much appreciated.

You can beat two birds with one stone: find a teacher and he will also guess a guitar. Find other guitar players in your city and practice and play with them.

btw: Our oldest son had been in Bideford for a year at a boarding school.

Greetings from Berlin
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria MH 100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

Paul Janssen

Postby Paul Janssen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:55 am

Hi Lamity and greetings from Australia.

I would also like to echo other's comments on the benefit of taking private lessons if circumstances allow. You will not only find that you will progress faster, but you may also enjoy the social aspect of taking lessons. I know that I have always enjoyed taking lessons as it gives me the opportunity to spend time once a week with a fellow enthusiast who shares my passion for classical guitar and genuinely wants to see me improve. Lessons have also opened helped me achieve a deeper understanding of music theory.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress both with your playing and on your eventual classical guitar purchase.

Paul

Return to “Introduce yourself”