Progress through Noad Solo Guitar Playing

mikefreeman

Progress through Noad Solo Guitar Playing

Post by mikefreeman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi- my name is Mike and I live in Cornwall England. I have been playing the Classical Guitar for nearly 2 years, and making good progress self-teaching using the Noad book 3rd Edition.
I was making good progress until I got to the nine pieces around page 180 which include 4 pieces by Robert De Visee. I feel as though I have now hit a wall in terms of the physical technique required for bar 10 in the Allemand and bar 11 in the Gigue. I have been stuck on these pieces now for about 3 months trying to perfect these parts but my progress is now very slow.
My question is, should I persist in trying to perfect these parts before moving on in the book?
Will future pieces in the book help me to perfect these De Visee pieces retrospectively?
I practice at least 1 hour every day, and have now memorised all the De Visee pieces, and run through them daily, going back to the difficult parts and giving them extra practice.
My difficulty is physical ability, particularly with bar 11 in the Gigue.
Can anyone offer me advice on whether to move on, or stick at these pieces until they are performance ready?
Many thanks

Rick Hutt

Re: Progress through Noad Solo Guitar Playing

Post by Rick Hutt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Mike. You will probably get better advice than this, but I have two suggestions: First, do keep moving ahead. You can always return to the t wo DeVisee pieces and eventually solve the problems. Second, go to the problematic chord change and actually verbalize the problem. For instance (and I don't have the Noad examples in front of me, so I'm making a hypothetical) "My fourth finger will not reach the fifth fret" or "my one and two fingers damp the fourth string so the note cannot be heard". Again, these are examples. Then as you sort out the difficulty you will have a verbal roadmap for resolving the problem. Then just keep on. Unless your fingers simply cannot make a particular stretch,or something actually physical you willprobably get through it and play it wonderfully.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi mike,

bravo for your persistance!

I was alike you, after my comeback to classical guitar, when I searched for a teacher - and a great teacher afterwards. I emphasize on that, as you already "investing" a lot, so I believe that you need a feedback and guidance from a teacher, for the problem that you spot / and for many other things that you are not able to spot or perceive being the teacher of yourself :)

To your specific question, I also suggest you move on and come back afterwards. You probably need more exercises / etudes , and some time, that will make you play that difficult parts properly.

Regards,
George
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Mike,
Work with several classical guitar studies at the same time.
In addition to Noad, you can get going on the Sagreras Studies that are available here. Don't forget Sor and Carcassi op 60 too. Working with several will not only improve your playing ability, it will keep your interest level at a peak!

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 pm

What do you mean by "pshysical ability"? I have the noad method. Both are passages on the third position right? I would really need video to add anything useful.

mikefreeman

Post by mikefreeman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks very much for the advice everyone, I will move on in the book and retrospectively keep practicing these difficult passages. I think that the advice of a good teacher would also be of benefit so I'll look for one nearby.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Mike. A somewhat belated welcome to the forum. I am sorry the Mod Team have been a bit slow in responding to you. :oops:

You will find helpful information about the forum and its rules our welcome page. Having now posted two messages you should be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Introduce yourself”