Hello from San Diego

RTBartus

Hello from San Diego

Post by RTBartus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I am a neuroscientist who has always loved music, played trumpet and clarinet, including in a dance band throughout high school and college. In my thirties I began taking guitar lessons, focusing on classical guitar but quickly evolving to include folk and some rock (I built my own 'stereo-output' electric guitar, just to learn more about the instrument and how rock guitar "worked". After taking lessons for several years (and developing a serious "need" to play every day- even when traveling, I eventually found it increasing difficult to find time to play regularly, between growing a career and raising two children. Eventually, when I did pick up any of my guitars, they felt more like strangers in my hands than old friends...and that was the beginning of the end....until recently.

I became a grandfather nearly three years ago and my granddaughter LOVES music and dance. This prompted me to dig out my old classical guitar- which I had placed in storage 25 years earlier) to begin playing nursery songs for her and I soon got hooked again. It didn't take long to start playing more and soon begin to relearn some of the songs I had played long ago and am now enjoying finding all kinds of new music via the internet (which I how I stumbled upon this site). I just bought a new Pavan TP-30 and am loving it- and am once again finding time each day to play.

I may take private lessons again, but for now am happy with simply learning new pieces, transposing some for keys that I like better and at times rearranging pieces or even arranging specifically for classical guitar. The internet is proving to be full of wonderful opportunities to expand one's musical activities.

I'm happy to join all you fellow classical guitar lovers!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello from San Diego

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello RTBartus and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Loved your story. Thank you for sharing! Glad you're Bach to the guitar!
Hauser III 2014!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! What a lovely story about your granddaughter. :)

Return to “Introduce yourself”