Greetings from Oakland, California

joaqajoaqa

Greetings from Oakland, California

Postby joaqajoaqa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been playing guitar for around 20 years off and on (mostly off), with the last 2-3 years more frequent than ever and with a classical. I stumbled upon this forum while looking for various informations and found perspectives and opinions here really helpful. Originally, I found interest in classical guitar after having started with an electric at age 16, but wanted to acquire some technical knowledge of playing the instrument so wound up taking classical courses when I entered college.

Thereafter, I felt it difficult to advance my understanding of theory as it applies to guitar and so shied away. All of a sudden some 10 years later, something clicked and things like the CAGED system and, to a lesser extent, modes started making sense. I'm still by no means an expert with any of the above, but encouraged to further my abilities with this new understanding.

Lastly, I'm on an '89 Takamine C132S and would give my right pinky to play Asturias as well as Ana Vidovic!

oski79

Re: Greetings from Oakland, California

Postby oski79 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

Oakland, my home town, more or less!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

gregwillow

Postby gregwillow » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:41 am

Greetings from Chicago

joaqajoaqa

Postby joaqajoaqa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 am

Thanks all,

I've updated my profile location and look forward to all the great resources here. If threads about the best brand of strings are anything like motor oil threads, I know to keep my head down!

oski79

Postby oski79 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:43 pm

joaqajoaqa wrote:If threads about the best brand of strings are anything like motor oil threads, I know to keep my head down!

They're nothing compared to threads about certain players! :D
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Introduce yourself”