Hello from the South Coast of England

Barnaby

Hello from the South Coast of England

Post by Barnaby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

Hello,

Although my username is Barnaby, my name is actually Chris, it's just Barnaby would be my choice of middle name, if I had one, and it's rarely used as a username so is better than Chris2017!

I've been playing the guitar on and off for twenty years, I've babbled with other instruments, Saxophone and violin, but the guitar keeps pulling me back. Alas I'm not a natural musician, my progress is plodding at best, and every now and then I stop and think, this time I'll do it right! Put new strings on my guitar, look for a new method book that will be the one to reveal the secrets, and then dedicate myself to the guitar for a while. Half my trouble is that my first steps with the guitar was with TAB and now reading music and translating that onto the guitar neck is a struggle for me, even though I can read music to a degree having learnt to play the saxophone.

About three months ago I got myself sorted out again, although I didn't buy a new method book, but dug out my copies of Julio S. Sagreras (books 1-3) and Pumping Nylon (complete edition), I'd never looked at the easy to early intermediate repertoire in that before. I'm also borrowing an Ergoplay guitar rest from a friend, which I'm finding the most comfortable way to support the guitar.

Anyway that's probably more information that you needed, really I just wanted to say Hi.

All the best, Chris

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Hello from the South Coast of England

Post by James Lister » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Delcamp!

Please feel free to join in with existing discussions, or to start your own topic. The members here are very friendly and supportive, and if you need any extra help, you can ask one of the moderators (usernames shown in green, except mine, which is purple, as I'm also a luthier).

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please follow this link: Our welcome page

You already have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. When you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit.

We recommend that members add their location in their profile - to do so just click on your name at the top right of the page, select "User Control Panel", then on the "Profile" tab, and enter your town/region/country in the "Location" field.

Enjoy the forum!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 am

Greetings from somewhere else in Dorset Chris!

If you were planning on getting some lessons at some stage (highly recommended of course...) let me know, as depending on where you are, I should be able to advise.

Also recommended to sign up for the tuition material available via the forum.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Hello Chris, welcome to the forum!

Barnaby

Post by Barnaby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Stephen, I'm sure lessons would be a very good idea, having benefited from them when I was learning the saxophone, but alas it's not a viable option at the moment. I am however fortunate to know a few players I can seek advice from, so I'm not totally adrift :? I'll sign up for the tuition material here in just a moment.

Hi James, we have actually met, all be it briefly on two occasions, once at the open day at Newark college and once at the Granary Guitars open day.

Best wishes, Chris

Return to “Introduce yourself”