medicinecreek

Post by medicinecreek » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Greetings,

A new member but an old person. Long ago in the dark ages of 1959 (at age 17), whilst toiling on a dam project in the wilds of Northern Utah where there was nothing to do but work and sleep, I decided to learn how to play the classical guitar. I bought a cheap guitar, a Mel Bay book, and three months later I could play Greensleeves and a few other simple pieces...sort of. Fast forward through college, Vietnam (twice), graduate school, two careers, marriage, children, two heart attacks, and finally retirement, I dug out the old guitar a few months ago (now trashed) and decided to begin again. Wow, how fingers change from age 17 to 74.

I have a plethora of books, plenty of free time, the desire, and a quiet place to practice.

The problem: the fingers on my left hand do not want to cooperate. There must be some excellent guides on building up the perfect hammer down left finger attack versus my wobbly, crooked fingering. Good scale practice, I suppose, is the answer. Just haven't found the right book yet to start me from scratch.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. So far I like "Pumping Nylon" (regular and tab version--I may not live long enough to read music again,ha) by Scott Tennant the best, but a good video would help too. Anxious to try out the free lessons on this site. I have no illusions of making it to Carnegie Hall, but impressing my grandchildren would be nice...or at least playing well enough that they don't laugh out loud and try to haul me off to a nursing home.

Thanks.

Gerry

Erik Zurcher

Re: New Member

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Hello Gerry and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

medicinecreek

Post by medicinecreek » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, location suggestion, and advice. Still feeling my way around the site.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 pm

This forum can be overwhelming for new members. Let me give you some advice: click on 'Quick links' on the top left of the page and press 'Active topics' to see the latest posts.

Also, listen to our members recordings in the section 'Our recordings', divided in separate era: contemporary, modern and romantic, classical, early music.

Please join any of the topic threads by comments or questions. Or start a new topic!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Hello Gerry, welcome to the forum! For your left hand technique: There's a lot of Pumping Nylon videos in Youtube. I think you will find some other videos there worth watching also. Good luck with practicing!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:35 am

Interesting intro and Welcome! 74 is the new 55.
Celebrate, recalibrate and enjoy. You are in a great locale to take a few lessons with some good area artists. That would provide a good jump start and a new solid foundation relatively free from bad habits and potential for injury. All the best!

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Welcome Gerry, from another septuagenarian. A few years ago I was sent to Chile to do some teaching, and was unable to bring my guitar. After a few weeks I would wake up in the morning, and notice my left fingers feeling sore and stiff. Lesson learned. I play every day, several times a day. I keep a guitar in my office (the Taurus) so I can take it off the wall do a few minutes of scales, exercises, and play a few pieces. Being Division CHief with my own office heops. At home I structure my practice time so I can play regur;ly. The fingers remain limber and pain free. I intend to keep this up until... At any rate, welcome again!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Return to “Introduce yourself”