Hello from Crown Point, Indiana -1 hour from Chicago

Joel H

Hello from Crown Point, Indiana -1 hour from Chicago

Post by Joel H » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:33 am

I am a guitar player since 1964 (14 years old then) and fell in love with the classical guitar when I heard about this Cuban character that was giving a house concert at my friends home in Gary, IN. The guitar player could barely speak english and was sweeping floors in US Steel at the time. It turns out he was a degreed graphic artist and once he grasped the language he moved up the corporate ladder. His name is Lenin Periut. I was astounded at the age of 19, that this gentleman could command an audience of 20 people (+/-) that had no knowledge of this type of music! I vowed to study with him and I did. I had just moved out of my parents home at the time, and was living with 2 friends...and this guy would drive to my home on Monday nights for a 1 hour lesson for $10. It was VERY inspiring! At the time, I was a Beatle fan and the only 'finger style' I knew at the time was "Blackbird", but I appreciated the art of it all, and was smitten with the tone he was getting on his guitar. That was 47 years ago. I never stopped playing, with my personal goal to learn 1 piece a month...thinking of the end game. Because, as we all know, this isn't the kind of thing you just 'declare' you're going to master...it takes a lifetime, and I'm still a 'student' compared to the young breed of today. Although, living in Crown Point, IN., I'm somewhat of a big fish in a little pond' and do play professionally. That is to say, part-time, since I was a plumber for 35 years and now a commercial real estate agent. Odd mix, yes...but, true. I have played at a nearby spanish restaurant for 34+ years and also do county clubs, private parties, weddings, etc. When the Cuban instructor moved to Miami to teach with Juan Mercadal (I heard) I sought out a wonderful instructor in Chicago...John Mavreas. I studied with John for 3-4 years in the early '70's and became friends with him. But, after moving back to Greece at 55 after teaching in Chicago for 30 years, I hadn't seen him for 30 years until I visited him last September. What a WONDERFUL 2 weeks with him and his wife and daughter (a mutual friend was also my travel companion) and I hope to return this year. He was 86 last fall...I feel it's important to get back ASAP...you never know.
I have a beautiful Dake Traphagen 07 cedar/brazilian classical (among other guitars) and attend almost all concerts in Chicago, and some in at the Cleveland Guitar Society. I was at the Guitar '75 in Toronto and have vivid memories of almost everything! Wonderful...but enough for now.
Thanks for letting me join and post here.
Joel H

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Crown Point, Indiana -1 hour from Chicago

Post by George Crocket » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 am

Hello Joel. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the great introduction. Its great to get another experienced player on board.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Welcome from Oak Park, IL Great introduction. You seem to have had a great and continuing guitar journey
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Welcome Joel!
I will look forward to hearing more about your cg adventures.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Hello Joel, welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”