Hello again from Seattle

Thendrix

Hello again from Seattle

Postby Thendrix » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 am

I am returning after a bit of a break, same user name as before - except now capitalized, and eager to dive into some of the profound Cafe topics!

Since I can't find my old introduction, here is a new one:

I play classical guitar at a modest level, mostly for my own enjoyment. Occasionally an opportunity comes along to perform e.g. at a wedding or an anniversary party. On these occasions I play simple pieces such as the Milan pavanes.

I took up guitar in high school because of my interest in folk music. Hearing a live flamenco performance made me aware of the greater possibilities, and after I bought John Williams' first album, classical became my "vibe". I am still struggling with pieces on that album :chaud:

I was taking lessons in D.C. a ninety minute bus ride south. I was very frustrated by my lack of technical progress and had heard about Aaron Shearer. A friend and I contacted Shearer who graciously invited us to his apartment for a discussion. Mr Shearer informed me that everything about my technique was wrong, that I would have to start over from scratch. He would take me on as a student, because I was teaching part time. I went home and pondered this. A few days later my draft notice arrived...

Okay, now it's 1970. I am back in civilian life and taking lessons from a student of Shearer's. We started on page 1 of Shearer Vol 1., completely rebuilding my technique and introducing concepts of musicianship. Jan taught me for two years, before she graduated and moved away. Thus ended my formal training.

After my own college graduation (thank you, tax payers and G l bill) I worked in Baltimore for three years then moved to Seattle. The next thing I remember is my last day of work in 2014 :lol:. It sure went by fast! I still play regularly, rarely in public.
Last edited by Thendrix on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------
1966 Kohno #5
2012 Daryl Perry

George Crocket

Re: Hello again from Seattle

Postby George Crocket » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 am

Hello Thendrix. Welcome back. It would be great if you could find and link to your original introduction. :?

Please have a look at our welcome page to get an idea of any changes in the forum and its rules since you were last here. Remember to keep up an average of at least one post for every month of your membership and log in formally at least once a year, otherwise your account may be closed again.

You still need to post a second message to be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Luuttuaja

Re: Hello again from Seattle

Postby Luuttuaja » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 am

Hello and welcome back!

Return to “Introduce yourself”