Hello from Missouri!

jet3rry

Hello from Missouri!

Post by jet3rry » Mon May 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Please allow me introduce myself: I am a late-in-life (60-ish), beginning student of classical guitar, self-teaching for about 1 ½ - 2 years. I’ve learned to read music, more or less, in the first few positions, and have some materials (Sor, Carcassi, Carulli, and some song books), from which to study, as well as learning from online videos. Recently I contacted a guitar teacher in my area who teaches fingerstyle guitar (couldn’t find any classical guitar teachers), and will begin learning from him this summer.

Since I didn’t learn music earlier, much (most?) of it doesn’t make sense to me, so a friend suggested I take piano lessons to learn music theory; I did and some of the terms and concepts are easier to comprehend, as I can see them in action on a linear playing area (piano keyboard), and then transfer this knowledge to the guitar. A convoluted system, but it turns out that I enjoy learning piano, anyway, so it’s all good!

I like pretty much all kinds of music, but especially enjoy gentle, lyrical pieces, folk songs, and just playing around with a melody and arranging some harmony to go with it.

I play for the challenge of learning and growing, and the pure enjoyment of creating beautiful music with my hands and this wonderful, warm, gentle instrument.

Thank you for this forum and the opportunity to connect to other classical guitar lovers!

Jane

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Missouri!

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you're going to love it here. Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. You now have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Hello Jane and welcome to the forum!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri May 26, 2017 8:04 am

Welcome! I suggest providing us with the name of your hometown in Missouri. A CG instructor may be closer to you than you realize. Forum members will most likely know if this is so. Not that there is anything wrong with finger style.

Return to “Introduce yourself”