Hi from Scotland

Marty

Hi from Scotland

Post by Marty » Wed May 24, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm Marty and live on the west coast of Scotland – I can see the Isle of Arran from my house. It's lovely tonight (as it often is) thanks to the beautiful sunset.

I've been playing guitar for quite a number of years now. My first guitar belonged to my sister and was always missing at least half of its strings. I didn't like it much. I remember buying a really awful electric guitar which I plugged into my record player but that was the beginning of my journey.

I learned by listening to records, playing in bands and reading some theory. It's mostly been acoustic the last 20 years or so but I wanted a new challenge so I procrastinated a little about classical playing and eventually went for it.

This also includes learning to read music which never seemed that important to me before. I'm enjoying myself I have to say and constantly surprised by my lack of skills as my sometime teacher points out. I seem to lack dynamics which was a surprise until I thought about it and as a solo player I would say that's accurate whereas the bands I've been in have been dynamic all together, so that's new.

Another thing is accuracy – when it's your own music you play, it's never really wrong but when it's in front of you written by someone else, that's different.

Thanks for listening,

Marty

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Hi from Scotland

Post by James Lister » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi Marty,

Welcome to Delcamp! That's a beautiful part of the world - I spent a couple of weeks on Arran many years ago, and had almost unbroken sunshine the whole time (and I've had very many holidays in Scotland, so I know how rare that is!). You might know of the Classical Guitar Retreat held on Cumbrae every year it's a great event attended by several forum members (and run by another - Matthew McAllister)

Please feel free to join in with existing discussions, or to start your own topic. The members here are very friendly and supportive, and if you need any extra help, you can ask one of the moderators (usernames shown in green, except mine, which is purple, as I'm also a luthier).

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please follow this link: Our welcome page

You already have access to all members' scores and recordings. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. When you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit.

We recommend that members add their location in their profile - to do so just click on your name at the top right of the page, select "User Control Panel", then on the "Profile" tab, and enter your town/region/country in the "Location" field.

Enjoy the forum!

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Marty

Post by Marty » Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the welcome. Unbroken sunshine on Arran? I hope you took some picture otherwise no-one would believe you!

I had heard of the retreat on Cumbrae but haven't looked into yet, perhaps I will.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi Marty. Welcome to the Forum. The Classical Guitar Retreat is a great experience, as James says. I can't make it this year, but I hope to get the ferry across for a couple of concerts towards the end of the Retreat. It's well worth considering.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 am

Marty wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm
Hi James,

Thanks for the welcome. Unbroken sunshine on Arran? I hope you took some picture otherwise no-one would believe you!

I had heard of the retreat on Cumbrae but haven't looked into yet, perhaps I will.
I'm sure I have some photos somewhere - but it was probably 25 years or so ago, so pre-digital.

If you do manage to get to Cumbrae, do come and say hello (I'll be exhibiting a few of my guitars).

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu May 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Hello Marty, welcome to the forum!

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Marty, welcome.
I made a trip to Scotland to look up my roots. My mother was born in Govan.
Loved the tour, the Highlands, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and much more. Beautiful country and great people.

Marty

Post by Marty » Sat May 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, very much appreciated.

My wife was over in Arran two days ago and it was a blistering sun, so it does happen.

Return to “Introduce yourself”