Hey from Portland, Oregon

mike_arnesen

Hey from Portland, Oregon

Post by mike_arnesen » Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm new around here. I've been playing classical guitar for 16 years (though I had a 13-year period in the middle where I didn't practice much at all). I picked up the electric guitar in High School and played in a few punk rock bands, but once I got into college I started playing classical. Music was the only thing I was passionate about back then so I became a music major with a classical guitar focus. I studied with an instructor for two years, played in an ensemble, and had a few recitals. I was okay, but not great. I ended up getting burnt out though and switched to a history major. Didn't play much at all for years, but recently picked it up again (about a year ago). I'm getting my chops back and can still read music pretty well. I've been learning some new pieces and relearning some from my old repertoire. Favorite composers are Torroba, Tarrega, and because I love the Renaissance, Dowland. Up until a month ago, I was playing on an old Yamaha but now that I'm a grown up I can treat myself to nice things. I just picked up a Cordoba 45 Limited and it's a dream. Quick video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUgA1UrDvHd/

Looking forward to being a part of this community!

George Crocket

Re: Hey from Portland, Oregon

Post by George Crocket » Sat May 27, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum. A significant proportion of our members have had breaks from guitar for one or other reason.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

See you around.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

mike_arnesen

Post by mike_arnesen » Sat May 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks, George! Really excited to check everything out. :D

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat May 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Hello from the south side of Oregon. Checked your instagram clip. Looks like your fingers have retained some flexibility. Similar to you I put the guitar down for 15 years and when I started playing again, I found that since I didn't care whether I played as well as a perfect recording of someone else, I could experience the joy of playing much more.

alfaalex101

Post by alfaalex101 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Glad to meet you Mike!

Return to “Introduce yourself”