Greetings from Stuart, Florida

Elwin

Greetings from Stuart, Florida

Post by Elwin » Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi,

I’m Elwin, originally from New Jersey, now retired, living in Florida. Although I’ve had no formal guitar training, guitar has been a part of my life since High School, back in the early sixties. Singing doo-wop harmonies with friends led me to experiment with playing those “chords” on my Dad’s old SS Stewart guitar; two strings, then three, then four, etc. Found an old Mel Bay guitar book and picked up some of the basics – just chords, no scales or melodies, Always strummed with pick. Started playing guitar accompaniment to our doo-wop group. Added a cheap electric pickup to the guitar. Joined a band. Played gigs. Bought my first real electric guitar, a Harmony Stratotone. Played more gigs. Upgraded to a Gretsch Duo Jet. Many more gigs. Quit the band, got a real job, married with children. Played guitar only occasionally. Calluses gone. Took piano lessons with the kids, got interested in keyboard stuff for a while. Interest in guitar came back big time after a trip to Hawaii where I was captivated by the Hawaiian style slack key guitar music. Visited some local music shops there and got some books and music samples. Back home, calluses back, started my collection of acoustic guitars so I could learn finger style and experiment with alternate tunings. I also started to really appreciate the beauty of nylon string guitars, and added a 1996 Takamine Classical (CP-132SC) to the collection. What a beautiful sounding guitar. Over the years, I have developed a real love-hate relationship with that guitar. I absolutely love the way it sounds, but hate how hard it is to play. But, I’m gaining on it. Better every day. Today, I’ve become a Guitar-Pro and YouTube junkie, trying to learn and master whatever I can on my seven steel & nylon acoustic guitars. All that internet content is great, but flows in one direction. It’s nice to have a forum such as this, where there is opportunity for interaction with others.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from Stuart, Florida

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello Elwin and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”