Geriatric New Boy

rrooksie

Geriatric New Boy

Post by rrooksie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Hello Everyone
As required I am introducing my self as a new member. I have now been studying the classic guitar for a couple of years - no tutor - and I am finding the going is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain! Home for me is Ivybridge in Devon - do I need to add England?. My practising is lacking in structure and I spend too much time wrestling with music that is way beyond my scope but self discipline is lacking. I will be 80 years young in this coming October so maybe I should watch everyone else on YouTube and fantasise!
My regards to everyone
RRooksie

Erik Zurcher

Re: Geriatric New Boy

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Hello RRooksie and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

burtong

Post by burtong » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Hello and welcome. Your story resonates with me. I, too, started late ... picked up the classical guitar at 45 setting a goal that I should be playing grade 5 repertoire by age 50 and here I am doing just that.

My story:
* Do not wrestle with music that is beyond your scope. Keep a couple of these to work on as your technique improves but there is plenty of beautiful music for beginners. I used the Royal Conservatory of Music series, started with the P level and then marched through grades 1 to 5 , one per year.
* Find a teacher. I did the first few years alone ... with a teacher things got much better. I had someone to listen and to challenge me and to help me improve.
* Compare your music to your music. There will always be people who play better (more skillful, more time, just more talent). It is tough as a adult to see someone who is 1/2 (1/10, in your case :-) ) your age playing much much better. Keep a journal. Set goals ... and watch yourself improve.
* Do not push. No pain. That is tougher, too, I find as I get older. Work on good posture and technique.

PS: There is thread on here where someone asked if you could go back in time and talk to a classical guitarist who would it be ... someone very clever said that that they would go back in time and talk to their 20 year old self to get them to start playing guitar.

Enjoy the music.

rrooksie

Post by rrooksie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you for responding to my introductory mail. My efforts at finding tuition have been to no avail and I have decided upon a return to the viola section of a regional orchestra within the Autumn. On the bright side I will not now be laying a shed load of money on the new Carrillo guitar I had been drooling over!
Regds Geriatric New Boy.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Too bad. We encourage GAS here (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

There is lots of wonderful music on this site (thank you JF Delcamp) for free handily organized according to your level, D01-07 or higher. Also the online lessons for free are a great way to stay on task with encouragement from your fellow students from around the world. I hope you give it a try.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

rrooksie

Post by rrooksie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Despite my earlier statement, I found myself practising from Book 2 of the Brouwer "Etudes" this afternoon and I know the guitar itself will not let me quit!
I do wonder why these "Estudios" are described as "Simples" or is that just my lack of expertise? Such a contrast to the Sor studies but my personal interest is toward the contemporary!
Regds.

Return to “Introduce yourself”