Hello all! I am Adam from Chattanooga, TN

Adam Puryear

Hello all! I am Adam from Chattanooga, TN

Post by Adam Puryear » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello everyone, I came across this forum this morning while searching for random guitar related answers. I guess an introduction is in order :) ... I am a 37 year old classical pianist/organist, and singer. I have recently decided to add the guitar to my musical arsenal as I have wanted to learn for years and I have plenty of time on my hands even though I still spend several hours a day sitting at the piano teaching/learning repertoire. My big projects this summer is to consolidate and memorize all 12 of Chopin op. 10 and familiarize myself with the guitar... the Chopin is a big ambition but learning right hand technique on this guitar is proving to be an even bigger challenge lol. I recently purchased a second hand Cordoba C5... something cheap but seemingly efficient enough to begin with (also was looking at Yamaha instruments). Right now I am watching Youtube videos and working my way through an online method I found by Bradford Werner if that name means anything to anyone. I am about to start researching different guitar methods. Coming from a pianist's perspective on technique and the mechanisms of learning it, I am approaching this guitar with all things technique in mind as it's the absolute foundation for learning any instrument as it gives the musician all the tools to be musical.
Putting my personal ambitions aside (kinda) :wink: I also have an ulterior motive for familiarizing myself with the guitar. My teenage nephew has been playing guitar for a little over a year now and is impressively progressing at what he is trying to do... he studies with some lady who plays bluegrass yet does not read any music notation. She does not charge him for lessons, he is her only student, and has become very close to her. I would like for him to broaden his musical horizons so to speak, so, I am trying to approach his situation delicately... he has it in his mind that he wants to only learn this style of music, does not need to learn to read music and he knows everything already yada yada yada. I am hoping I can learn to play with him and teach him a few things along the way...maybe change his mind on a few ideas he has in his thick head that I know he will regret in the future.
I will stop my rambling for now, as I am sure I will have plenty of questions soon to come.
Nice to meet everyone, Adam

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hello all! I am Adam from Chattanooga, TN

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Hello Adam and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:24 am

Hello Adam. Welcome to the Forum. Loved your amusing intro!

My sister taught music until her recent retirement. One of the best cards I ever mailed to her contained the following message: Never try to teach a pig to sing. You'll frustrate yourself, and it annoys the pig. :D She kept a copy tucked away in her studio.

Your ulterior motive sounds noble, but could backfire. Have you thought of guiding your nephew to some great bluegrass? Not an oxymoron, so no rants from Forum members please. Tony Rice and Alison Krauss with Union Station immediately come to mind. Those solid musicians may have him scrambling to expand his bag of musical tricks in no time at all.

But then again, he is only 17. Is the teacher Lady's name Mrs. Robinson by any chance?

All the best and good luck! Please keep us posted re: your progress.

Adam Puryear

Post by Adam Puryear » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 am

No, not Mrs. Robinson... lol she is just an elderly lady who enjoys his company. I am not trying to turn him into a baroque fanatic or anything like that... I just want him to learn to read music notation and not play three different chords using a capo over and over. Right now he is obsessed with Dolly Parton and the Carter family's music. I hope it doesn't backfire though, I plan on approaching this gently. I do appreciate bluegrass... especially the old stuff along with sacred harp music. It all has a beautiful history behind it evolving from Irish or Scottish folk music played by immigrants along with African influence, some neat sounds!

Adam Puryear

Post by Adam Puryear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:30 pm

May someone please help to refer me to the beginning of the guitar lessons material on this forum, I have seen many of the posts about it, yet I am having trouble figuring out where to begin with the material.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Adam,

all information about the lessons is here:
viewforum.php?f=41,
and the first thing to read is
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023

Bernhard

Return to “Introduce yourself”