Greetings from new member

Classicalguitaristwannabe

Greetings from new member

Post by Classicalguitaristwannabe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a 50 year old man who has always appreciated and loved the sound of a classical guitar! While watching TV at the age of 7, I viewed a young boy playing a guitar on an episode of the 'HeeHaw' show. That inspired me to want to learn how to play. My father taught me a few chords but I never pursued learning, so I stopped - other than fiddling here and there. In my teens I picked up bass (double bass as well in middle school and high school) and played for one of my father's Spanish Christian albums - he recorded three albums altogether. I have always played bass for the churches I've attended over the years and also played in a few bands - each being short lived. I have always been praised for having a good 'ear' by other musicians and school music teachers over the years. I used to read bass Clef in Middle /HS orchestras but that was a long time ago. My music pallet is quite versatile, including classical music in general, although I can't really say I am well versed in classical 'guitar' pieces. Throughout the years, I've heard several classical guitar pieces but I couldn't tell you the names of those pieces if I were asked. Recently, I made a well informed decision as to what instrument I want to play and learn as a personal hobby for however many years the Lord grants me, so I chose the classical guitar because it's my first love and I believe I can excel on this instrument to some degree. So I sold my bass and amp and purchased a Kremona Romida (wish I had purchased a cedar top in stead) and have begun to learn a couple of pieces. A piece by Andrew York called, 'Home' and I also purchased, 24 Studies by Sor OP 35 and am currently learning excercise #9. For you skilled and learned classical guitarist, I know these excercises are easy but if I'm going to improve, I have to begin with the easiest pieces I can find. But I must say, these excercises by Sor are also very beautiful!!!!!!!!!! And that is also a great incentive for me to practice! I am learning by ear so it does take longer obviously but it's all I know. I learn the correct notes by focusing on short phrases for bass and treble notes separately, as I listen a few times. I determine best possible finger position - especially how best to transition to subsequent notes or chord. I also distinguish if I am hearing an open note or fret note. Commit each phrase to memory. Connect a few phrases at a time, then add more until the whole piece is memorized. Go back and play along with track to check notes. Work on any harder parts, verbrato, retardo, forte, tempo or just overall flow of piece (I do wish I could read). Andrew York's piece, 'Home' is already committed to memory but I am still practicing for fine tuning of all the small nuances and for muscle memory improvement. I welcome ANY constructive advise to help me improve and as well as any suggestions of pieces for me consider as I develop! Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of a community that has a love for the classical guitar!
Rafael Figueroa

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greerings from new member

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:12 am

Hello Rafael and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

CathyCate

Re: Greetings from new member

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Welcome!
Guitarist David Tanenbaum (in the 90s I think) produced a series of books and CDs analyzing and demonstrating studies of Sor, Carcassi and Brouwer. If you can locate this material, you may be able to put it to good use and enrich your learning experience.

Classicalguitaristwannabe

Re: Greetings from new member

Post by Classicalguitaristwannabe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 am

Thanks for the Books and CDs suggestion Cathy, I will definitely search for them!

Return to “Introduce yourself”