G'day from down-under

O'Toole

G'day from down-under

Post by O'Toole » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am

Hello from far north Queensland in Australia and thanks for allowing me into the Forum.

Well...where to begin.

I've just finished a most inspiring nine week course, An Introduction to Classical Music, run by Professor Craig Wright at Yale University. It has inspired me to try and learn to play a musical instrument in my retirement. The piano would have been my first choice but for missing the top two joints of my right ring finger. My next choice would be the classical guitar.

Now...a couple of questions.
1. At 75 am I too old to start learning to play guitar and
2. Would the missing finger on my right hand be too much of a hinderance. From the few video clips that I've looked at, the little finger doesn't seem to be used much. If this is the case would I be able to train this finger to take the place of it's missing neighbour? I would be starting from absolute scratch with no prior musical training whatsoever.

I think that is probably enough for a first post :casque:

RosscO

Erik Zurcher

Re: G'day from down-under

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:33 am

Hello RosscO and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 am

Hi,
O'Toole wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am
I've just finished a most inspiring nine week course, An Introduction to Classical Music, run by Professor Craig Wright at Yale University.
I went through that on YT a few years ago - interesting! You don't happen to remember what aria he is talking about when he says the situation is ugly (possibly a daughter trying con her father out of some money) but the music is beautiful? I would like to find it, but not enough to watch all the videos again...
It has inspired me to try and learn to play a musical instrument in my retirement. The piano would have been my first choice but for missing the top two joints of my right ring finger. My next choice would be the classical guitar.

Now...a couple of questions.
1. At 75 am I too old to start learning to play guitar and
No!
2. Would the missing finger on my right hand be too much of a hinderance. From the few video clips that I've looked at, the little finger doesn't seem to be used much. If this is the case would I be able to train this finger to take the place of it's missing neighbour? I would be starting from absolute scratch with no prior musical training whatsoever.
There are others on here who know more about technique than me, but FWIW I think you could make that work. Some players do use their little fingers. Every hand is different, obviously, and it would probably help if your little finger happens to be quite long. In lots of cases I think you would use the middle or index finger as a substitute, rather than the little finger, but you would need the little finger in some chords and other situations.

I would say that it's a hindrance but it doesn't need to spoil the whole thing. Google Django Reinhardt!

I'm not sure though that it is that much less of a hindrance in guitar than piano, and it seems a shame to pursue your second choice instrument if it doesn't make much difference.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Welcome to the forum from Sydney.

Don't worry about age. If you apply yourself and have some patience I am confident you will make progress and will enjoy yourself, which is surely the goal.

The finger problem will no doubt make things more difficult for you (since conventional guitar technique uses the thumb and the first three fingers on the right hand). I suspect you might adapt just to use the thumb and two fingers rather than trying to use the little finger.

Best of luck
Peter

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Welcome from Melbourne.
One of our forum members, Mathew McAllister who is a professional classical guitarist I remember seeing a video tutorial of his and his middle finger has a missing nail and so he plays all his pieces sans the middle finger on the right hand so if he can sound as good as he does playing with one less right hand finger then I'm sure you can get to play some reasonable level with your missing ring finger. It would certainly be trickier but do-able.

Return to “Introduce yourself”