Introduction for life

lsume

Introduction for life

Post by lsume » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello everyone, I've actually joined this forum sometime ago but was having trouble introducing myself using my IpadPro. Thankfully Pogmoor, whom I think is one of the experts for this site helped me to finally post my introduction. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge at this website. My wife and I live in Gainesville Florida and have been living here now for about 18 years. We will be celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary this month. We have 4 adult children and 6 grandchildren. I started playing guitar when I was about 12 years old. As I recall, I purchased a cheap acoustical guitar from Kmart back then. Within about a year or two, I purchased a better guitar from Sears and as I recall, strung it with nylon strings. By the time I was 15 or 16 I began to take my playing seriously. It was around that time that all of us younger guitar players were learning how to play Stairway to Heaven and Classical Gas. I had really liked Spanish guitar and would listen to an album my parents had by Carlos Montoya over and over until I probably wore that album out. When I was about 15 or 16, I began trying to emulate Carlos Montoya's Maliguania. I began playing my version of that song and after a couple of years was able to play my very emotional version of that music. My wife can tell my mood by how I'm playing various music. It wasn't until I was about 33 that I began to go out and play solo classical guitar. Back in those days, I could just sit down and start playing fairly complex music without warming up. Today however, I need to warm up for at least an hour. As arthritis and carpal tunnel have set in, its become more difficult to get the sound that I once had. I very recently purchased a new Yamaha NCX2000R. One of the first things that I did upon arrival was contact a technical service Yamaha employee. That was just the beginning of my interaction with Yamaha's technical advice personnel. I almost immediately purchased a new set of Sloane tuning pegs which I installed quickly upon arrival. Also, based on advice from the Yamaha tech. after buying a good set of feeler gauges and nut files I started to work on the action of my new Yamaha NCX2000R. I've spent hours slowly working the action down to fit my playing style. I have owned a number of classical guitars including a handmade Yamaha that I purchased in around 1985. I still own a Takamine EC 132C and a vintage Conn Classical that my wife bought me for Christmas around 1974 or 1975 while I was in the navy. The action on the Takamine is excellent. However, for some years I wanted to buy the Yamaha NCX2000R. When my wife gave me permission to make the purchase, I didn't wait long before buying. I have replaced the tuning pegs on my Takamine a number of times. I don't remember how many sets of Gotoh premium classical tuning pegs I've purchased but I do think that the Gotoh with the ebony knobs is a far better value when compared to my Sloanes. I made my first time ever adjustment to the truss rod on my Yamaha NCX2000R. I've backed it up by about 1/2 turn in total. Also, I've got the action about as low as I can go without running into issues with the clearance. Right now, the distance between the saddle and the bottom of the 6th string is about 25 thousandths of an inch (top of saddle nut to bottom of the 6th string). I've noticed that the neck on the Yamaha is a bit larger than the neck on my Takamine. Fortunately for me, I have very large hands. I've composed a fair amount of my own music over these many years and have thoughts about certain arrangements I'd like to try. I own a high end Alesis keyboard with a tremendous strings section setting. I also own the requisite components for a recording studio. I first began recording using an 8 track tape recorder which was pure simplicity compared to my first foray into digital recording. Around 2000 I bought an analog to digital card for my computer that was made by Roland as I recall. That card allowed for 2 inputs. I also bought Cubase Pro that was released about the same time. Around 2005 I bought the upgrade to Cubase to Cubase 5. I also bought the Yamaha MR816X which takes 8 analog inputs and converts them to digital. The 816 can be daisy chained with 2 or 3 others for 24 inputs. I lost my hardrive around 2009 which means that I lost all of my software and any recordings that I had made. I also lost all of software updates for my 816 and Cubase. Rather than load the original software and then getting all of the updates to reinstall Cubase 5, I very recently got the Cubase IE 9 for free since I was a heavily invested customer of Yamaha. They gave me links to upgrade my thumbdrive key as well as the link to upgrade the 816 to the latest version. I now have a very workable digital recording setup that's more than I will ever use to its capacity. I do recommend to others that they go to school to learn digital recording.

Return to “Introduce yourself”