Searching for a left handed classical guitar

James67

Searching for a left handed classical guitar

Post by James67 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi I'm James from Midlands UK. I've played for 50 years left handed and dropped my guitar last month. It needs a long period for repair. I am looked by for a replacement but can't find a suitable left handed instrument ready to play. There are not many around. Does anyone have a suggestion🎼🎸😩

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Searching for a left handed classical guitar

Post by GeoffB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum! If you don't get any replies to your question here, you might try asking in our Advice on buying section.

Meanwhile please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started on the forum, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm

James67 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm
Hi I'm James from Midlands UK. I've played for 50 years left handed and dropped my guitar last month. It needs a long period for repair. I am looked by for a replacement but can't find a suitable left handed instrument ready to play. There are not many around. Does anyone have a suggestion🎼🎸😩
I would phone (or email!) round the various classical guitar centres, at least two of which are fairly close to you, and see what they have. Might it be the case that replacement is more economic than repair ? - (much as I keep guitars going for ever, sometimes there's a point of no return with repairs...)
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm

If you just need a temporary solution, pretty much any classical guitar under 1,000 will require nothing more that changing the nut and the saddle. Most guitars are symmetrical apart from the saddle and nut. There are a couple of things to check to make sure this is possible.

1) is the fretboard flat/symmetrical?
A quick look at each side of the fretboard past the 12th fret should suffice. Right "handed" guitars may have the fretboard 1-2mm thinner on the bass side

2) is the bridge or the saddle skewed?
There is a good chance that one or the other might be skewed. From the nut to the saddle will be 650mm plus 1-3 mm. In some cases the bass side will be a little longer than the treble side. If the difference is just 1mm you can probably live with it. It may be possible to change the compensation a bit by getting the saddle shaped appropriately. Most factory guitars will probably have 1 mm-2mm compensation straight across so no issue at all.

For example, I tend to skew the bridge about 1mm and have about 1.5mm compensation in the middle.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 pm

I was able to get my wife a left-handed, 610 mm (3/4 size) guitar after looking for months. Left-handed by itself isn't too difficult, but add to that its small size, short scale, and the choices are few. It cost a pittance. The only other option I found was luthier built, and cost a fortune. If you are looking for a 650mm guitar, there are some good factory-made options. I would look at places that specialize in left hand guitars like southpaw guitars website.

James67

Post by James67 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks guys. I'm looking for a replacement but searching uk and Spain still produced no immediate guitar to buy

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi Jim

I think we share a teacher. Tony told me about your problem on Tuesday. I have just had a look at Stafford Guitars. They have a whole section of left-handed guitars at a range of fairly low prices. It is probably also worth getting in touch with Tony Nugent. He has lots of contacts in the guitar world and might well be able to help. I know of one Delcamper who managed a very good deal with him fairly recently. Tony does not need to add VAT to his prices.

For a quick repair I would recommend Roger Williams who is not too far away in Litchfield. He has a very good website.

All the best

Derek
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

James67

Post by James67 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks Derek Stafford guitars only get guitar to order. Tony nugent has none on non stock. Broken guitar already awaiting repair like nhs long waiting list. London classical guitar centre have Ramirez LH model in from early july

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:07 am

This query might attract more useful responses if you put it in the Advice on Buying and selling Guitars section. There are a number of left-handed Delcampers but they probably don't all read the Introduce Yourself section.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

ukulelesteve1234

Post by ukulelesteve1234 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:21 am

Have you looked at Cordoba Guitars (https://www.cordobaguitars.com/)? A number of their models have a left-handed option (I have the C10), and there are links from their site to dealers who sell them. Best of luck.
All instruments left-handed
Pavan Flamenco Negra
Córdoba C10
Mya-Moe Tenor Cutaway 'Ukulele, Low G
Mya-Moe Baritone Cutaway 'Ukulele
Kamaka Long-Neck Tenor 8-String 'Ukulele
Kanile'a Baritone 'Ukulele tuned C6, High G

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Unfortunately it looks as if James hasn't returned to the forum and isn't responding to PM's.

If I can indulge in some shameless self-advertising, my LH Contreras is still available.

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 3&t=112901

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Return to “Introduce yourself”