Greetings From Rhode Island

tamfam

Greetings From Rhode Island

Post by tamfam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello:

I began playing classical guitar in college in 1989, when I began lessons with the resident guitar professor. I progressed quickly, but my skills leveled off after a few years--mainly because I spent too little time concentrating on technique and too much time playing music. Scales, for example, were for warming up, not for pursuit of technical mastery of the instrument.

I played lots of little pieces from the Noad books. I played Caprichio Arabe. I could play things like Villa Lobos Preludes 4, 1, and 3, with decent proficiency. I attempted many pieces that were beyond my technical level.

I took lessons, in one form or another, from about 1989-2000, but by about 2002, I was not playing at all.

In March 2017 I purchased a new guitar (Cordoba, Rodriguez) and began lessons again. I practice for about two hours a day, and at least half of my playing is technical exercises. "Pumping Nylon" (Tennant) is my technical exercise bible, and I also use "The Art of Classical Guitar Playing" (Duncan) as a resource.

I play Segovia scales every day, and recently completed a journey through each one, getting them all up to at least 54 (in 16ths) in all seven right-hand fingerings. I've just begin my second journey in which I will do the same, but at least 72.

Pieces I'm working on?

Bach, Prelude 998
Villa Lobos, Prelude #5
Llobet, El Noi De La Mare

I also have been keeping a detailed practice log, from which, for example, I know that I've practiced the Villa Lobos piece for about 35 hours total.

I've been reading this forum a lot lately, and I'm happy to have created an account.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings From Rhode Island

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello tamfam and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”