Gday from North Queensland!

Endeavour88

Gday from North Queensland!

Post by Endeavour88 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling to keep motivated lately and thought why not mix it up and get some inspiration! Here's a little about me and my relationship with the guitar.

Originally tutored I've been playing classical guitar for around 15 years now (Im 28) but have become very relaxed over the past 7 years since working. I dabbled in fingerpicking and electric during high school but really found classical to be my preferred style with mild deviations towards jazz every now and again.

To be honest I am completely lost at the moment. I've accumulated a reasonable repertoire (though the execution is rusty at the moment) and of late have been recycling Roland Dyens arrangements along with some Bream favourites. These two are my favourites but really I struggle to expose myself to new musicians enough. I hope to find some great Bach arrangements and would like to improve my musical theory and learn some more/play more jazz also.

If anyone has some recommendations and suggestions let me know.

All the best,

Shannon

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Gday from North Queensland!

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Shannon,

Welcome to the forum! You should find plenty to interest and inspire you here. Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 am

Welcome Shannon. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Bach is of course one obvious composer to explore. There are layers of complexity I don't think you'll ever fully uncover. Well, I certainly know I won't.

Regards
Peter (Sydney)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Shannon,

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of thoughts regarding your current disorientation:

1. Perhaps you could return to lessons (assuming you're not currently under the guidance of a teacher?)
2. If there is a classical guitar society or ensemble near you maybe you could become a member?.
3. What about teaching yourself (depending on your own level). Even if you initially teach beginners, it could give your music a sense of purpose?
4. Are there any other musicians near you that you could play along with. Woodwind and Guitar duets can often be really good.

Just a couple of thoughts

Good luck,
Paul (Melbourne)

Return to “Introduce yourself”