Greetings! Looking forward to a wonderful resource!

cogmission

Greetings! Looking forward to a wonderful resource!

Post by cogmission » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name's David Ray and I've been lurking in the background, and have been directed to this forum many times - having been directed here following obsessive Google searches on many topics.

Just a bit about me (I apologize up front for any pain this self-indulgence may cause) :? ; I'm a long time mediocre musician and started playing guitar around the age of 10 after a rebellious 3 years of piano lessons. Finally, after much begging, my music teacher relented, and agreed that it would be ok for me to pick up guitar and gave her blessing to my parents. I played with her and two other kids in church, after I learned some chords.

6 years later I picked up the guitar again after meeting a good friend who became my guitar mentor. He was truly gifted and self-taught, and furnished me with years of inspiration. Mark introduced me to Chris who later grew to be my best friend. After graduating from high school, we both decided to start a band and join the ranks of the many 80's wanna-be new wave rockers of that time. We enjoyed some success; managed to write a few tolerable songs, and had a great time!

After over 20 years I've decided to pick up the guitar again (I always had one sitting around), and started taking lessons (also getting my son Elijah to take lessons) - telling myself I want to actually learn the craft and become an "actual" musician. What got me back into it was listening to Ben Woods playing flamenco music. After listening to him, I've decided I'd like to spend the rest of my years learning spanish-style guitar because I've found it to be extraordinarily beautiful and soul-wrenching. I also like Bossa Nova, and smooth jazzy type music - as long as it features an acoustic guitar either solely or prominently in the music.

Anyway, thanks for muscling your way through this torturous self-promotion if you've managed to read most of it. I'm looking forward to participating in future discussions, this seems like a great community and I've really enjoyed reading the many expert explanations and shared experiences.

Cheers,
David
We seldom here what another has to say, because of how "loudly" who-one-is speaks...
Cordoba 55FCE Ltd.

oski79

Re: Greetings! Looking forward to a wonderful resource!

Post by oski79 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

cogmission

Re: Greetings! Looking forward to a wonderful resource!

Post by cogmission » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am

Hi oski79,

Thanks for the welcome! :)
We seldom here what another has to say, because of how "loudly" who-one-is speaks...
Cordoba 55FCE Ltd.

Return to “Introduce yourself”