Hello from San Diego (soon UCLA!)

fumingelephant

Hello from San Diego (soon UCLA!)

Post by fumingelephant » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm 18, currently in the summer before college. I decided to start learning classical guitar about 3(?) weeks ago, the books I currently have are parkening and noad volume one, kitharologus, pumping nylon, and, unfortunately, mark hanson. I'm teaching myself, which is why I'm watching several YouTube Playlist and have two method books. I'd rather not build bad habits then have to correct them.

My goal is probably to play something like Clair de lune, romance, malaguena, Tico no Fubá, some relatively hard flamenco (not very objective, I'm not too familiar with the literature in flamenco, sorry) etc then I'm buying an acoustic and trying some of sungha jungs music. I'll probably also pick up some techniques not used in classical guitar that much while I'm playing acoustic (I don't seem to ever see much percussive techniques in classical guitar?)

Edit: I just realized listing pieces isn't as clear in guitar as piano since there are several versions. I was referring to the versions with some intermediate/advanced techniques like harmonics and tremolo.

I used to play classical guitar (started in the beginning of high school, and took classes until I started guitar. I'm still playing, just not as much bc guitar). I expect that should help somewhat with my finger dexterity, and allow me to improve somewhat quicker than normal.

I have a few questions regarding kitharologus and pumping nylon that I'll post later, since this is an intro post and not a

oski79

Re: Hello from San Diego (soon UCLA!)

Post by oski79 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers too. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can get pretty heated at times. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here is what Mssr. Delcamp himself has to offer on that.

It is important to note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Luuttuaja

Re: Hello from San Diego (soon UCLA!)

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introduce yourself”