learning something new in SE Cornwall

dkp.wildflowers

learning something new in SE Cornwall

Post by dkp.wildflowers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:15 pm

This is my introductory post.

I started on violin as a child, and briefly piano before discovering the guitar. I have played guitar badly for 50 years. I am basically self taught. I have a Tama classical bought in 1980, and a lovely Martin Acoustic bought this year. After a long interval my interest was rekindled by an evening of jigs and reels at the home of an American friend in Maine. My partner bought me a couple of lessons which I continued for a few months and as a result began to explore finger picking jigs and reels. I then discovered Turlough O'Carolan's music which is what I am working away at now. Along with the music came the very belated discovery of DADGAD, DGDGBD tuning etc opening up a whole new world of rich sound. I would love to meet some like minded musicians locally.
One problem now is that my much loved Tama guitar seems to have lost it's voice particularly on the top strings after being restrung and 'serviced' locally. I am not sure what strings were used. Any views on best nylon strings for mellow old guitars?

David

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: learning something new in SE Cornwall

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. By the way, if you don't get any replies here about the strings, try looking in our string section here. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Introduce yourself”