Greetings from an amateur guitarist who is always trying to get better

takiskonst

Greetings from an amateur guitarist who is always trying to get better

Post by takiskonst » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello to all, Bonjour à tous, Saludos a todos, Grüße an alle, Χαιρετισμούς σε όλους, こんにちは!

Classical guitar has been part of me since I was a teenager. I am now over 50 and still play guitar. I have my ups and downs and never seem to find the time to practice rigorously. Nevertheless, I do try and do play, sometimes with ease, sometimes struggling. One of the things that attracted me to the guitar is that I have a very bad voice. I basically can't sing, but I've always wanted to, I felt like I had to. Well, guitar is an extension of my vocal cords--that's how I can best describe the feeling and experience.

I took lessons when I was very young but then continued by myself. I consider myself self-taught even though there have been times that I sat in various classes, rather briefly. It has always been difficult to find the right level. Sometimes they are very easy, sometimes very hard.

As far as profession goes, I'm a research mathematician. Math, they say, goes with music. But that's not universal. I am, usually, quite busy, but I do put some time away in order to play guitar. Actually, I live in Sweden which is the strangest country I've ever lived at (I have spent 20 years in the US, several in the UK, and in France, and, naturally, in Greece, since I am Greek), where finding someone to talk to, or something interesting to do, or somewhere to go, or even a bookstore or a cafe is harder than finding a needle in a haystack. So, instead of committing suicide I try to play guitar. This is the role that guitar plays for me. It is vital. The good thing is that I travel a lot, often with my guitar, and so it is possible to both meet people and play guitar. I am frequently in the UK (where I keep a second guitar) and so that saves me. I have a Kohno guitar here (that I had bought from Guitar Solo in San Francisco long time a go, for a non-trivial price) and a cheap Yamaha in the UK (it sounds OK though).

The internet is full of junk. And it will become even worse. However, sites like this one, where information and quality are more important than insulting advertisements and garish decorations is what makes the internet interesting. I am looking forward to finding some new music and ways to expand my classical guitar horizons.

Regards,
Takis

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from an amateur guitarist who is always trying to get better

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello Takis,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that very full introduction! I'm sure you will find plenty to interest you here.

Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Mårten

Post by Mårten » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Hello Takis!
That is so funny 😂
Please keep playing guitar instead of committing suicide because you live in Sweden!
Where in Sweden do you live?
I am myself a swede and live outside Uppsala and i totally understand that it can be hard to find people to talk to.
You need to take it slow and not talk about anything else than the weather the first 5 times😉. Then you can move on but be very careful with discussions regarding politics, economy, literature, art, music, news or any topic that may anyone feel uncomfortable. Maybe move on to sports but with care😁
I totally agree with your view on the internet, fortunately there are a few gems to be found.

Best of luck to you and kind regards
/Mårten

portalesman

Post by portalesman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Glad you joined. People all over town hide when I sing but I still sing. Singing while playing is good therapy. Kelp on singing.
Alvarez MC90

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi Takis :bye:

welcome to the forum. We're happy you have joined us. As for new music, you will find a vast selection of not only traditional classical music, but also music written by members. All free to download and print. Enjoy!

Lorette

takiskonst

Post by takiskonst » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello Mårten,

I live in Uppsala proper. I've been living here for several years. I have exhausted all conversations about the weather, about ICA, about lösgodis,.... If I have to be careful with discussions regarding politics, economy, literature, art, music (MUSIC???), news, then what is left? I am really tired of speaking of nothing. I have obviously offended many people here by being rational. People get offended, apparently (because they will never admit they get offended) by anything that is not in line with some official line. For example, if I say that gummy bears (that everyone consumes in abundance) are not good for vegetarians or health-conscious people because they contain sugar (obviously) and gelatin from collagen extracted from pork bones (not so obviously) people, apparently, get offended.

In any other country I've lived in, discussing the above trivial example I gave, as well as more important nontrivial matters, doesn't offend anyone and, if it does, I welcome (in fact I appreciate!) comments and rational arguments against what I talk about. In Sweden, I get nothing. Nothing supporting my arguments. Nothing against my arguments. Just nothing. Nothing at all. I'm extremely open-minded and rational. I would therefore welcome anything (and would present arguments for or against) that sustains a conversation. 7 years in Sweden and, except a handful of very close friends, it is impossible to discuss. Therefore, I have isolated myself and talk to nobody. I only play guitar.

I'm in Berkeley, CA, now, for a couple of weeks. In 2 days I have managed to discuss more than I have discussed in 1 year in Sweden.

All the best, and thanks for finding my posting funny!
T.

takiskonst

Post by takiskonst » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks to all for taking the time to welcome me and present themselves. I'm in Berkeley, CA, at the moment (for 2 weeks), but, unfortunately, without a guitar. Lately I've been trying to practice some rag time on guitar.

takiskonst

Post by takiskonst » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Loretta,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Music written by members too? I didn't know that. Sounds great.
Takis

Return to “Introduce yourself”